Software Engineer 2

Engineering

I saw someone put on a PIP the day after filing a sexual harassment complaint. The complaint investigation found tons of inappropriate behavior, but nothing "actionable" and no wrong doing by the company, so there were no consequences. I watched a startup acquisition have men vault into upper level director positions with shoulder-tap promotions, while the only woman remained a Software Engineer II. Gender diversity in engineering is pretty good at SWE1 and SWE2: when I ran the numbers it was 22% and 19%. Then for senior SWE it drops to 6% and at principle and staff there just weren't any women, period. The promotion process was bullshit, but the hiring process was worse: I had the best candidate I interviewed turned down because some dude didn't think she knew enough Java trivia. Because of the terrible interviewing process that only hires "smart" people the code is pretty terrible, and it's only made worse by being written in Scala, designed to show off how clever the programmer is and not, for example, to avoid invisible O(n*m) algorithms. There's a small group of people who are good and are trying hard, but the Android app is a great example of why you should have people with Android skills write Android apps instead of just "smart" people. Watch out for the level you are being hired at: I was under-leveled and ended up mentoring people two levels up from me who had half my experience. If you are at 5+ years and they offer you SWE2, don't take it: that's the promotion new college grads get after a year. The two really egregious sexists in management have left since I did, so maybe things are improving, but just be careful where you land and protect yourself.

It is very flexible, which in practice means it's up to potentially-biased managers to enforce whatever they like. Get lucky, it could be great! Get unlucky, get told off for taking 3 weeks of supposedly-unlimited vacation.

Account Executive

Sales

You will love the opportunities for growth at this company

• Work-Life Friendly Attributes:

Top heavy with men but there are great female role models at every level. Fabulous maternity leave!

Senior Partnerships Manager

Strategy & Business Development

The company has been through many ups and downs but it was the most challenging and rewarding role I’ve ever had. Truly a unique culture and the highest caliber colleagues you could ask for.

Software Engineer

Worked here for two years. More women here than I've ever worked with at other tech companies.

Recruiting

I've worked here for over 3 years and women are treated fairly and equally here. Our team in particular has a good balance of men and women and all are passionate about diversity and inclusion. I have seen women advance and plenty have taken maternity leave and come back to be promoted. I am proud to work here.

Sales Director

Sales

It's fine, run by a bunch of Google people so not the most imaginative or creative people and we needed more women in senior management. Below Director level the employees are pretty equal

Software Engineer

There are very few women in engineering roles here, even fewer than industry average. In my experience, I've been treated fairly here, but the VP of engineering has absolutely made tone-deaf statements about sexism and diversity in tech and Twitter is the defendant in a class-action lawsuit alleging gender discrimination, which makes me think my experience isn't universal. YMMV.

Maybe. Culture is very team and office-dependent - it's certainly possible to find a great team (I did), but I've seen other engineers express opinions more along the lines of 'diversity hires will lower the bar' (in fact, something our VP of engineering purportedly said).

Marketing Manager

Marketing

I wasn't there very long, but I noticed a pattern of women, who were well regarded, being let go in the revenue org. In the few months I was there, I counted a four at least. It wasn't concrete enough to sue or anything, but it was definitely felt. The engineering org could be great--I really didn't have any exposure to that.

n/a