Yale University

3.6

"Like any university, some major issues can get swept under the rug. I had a friend who was verbally abused and threatened by her boss and the university did nothing to help."
Research Assistant, Research & Development
Would you recommend Yale University to other women?
"Make absolutely sure that your individual department is good. Find out what happened to whomever you are replacing and NEVER work on Medical Campus. Its horrid. Literally. "
"not sure"
One thing Yale University can improve?
"If you are a lower level person the flexibility is less / . at the discretion of your manager but there is an over all culture of flexibility"
Would you recommend Yale University to other women?
"Come here with your eyes wide open. It's the biggest game in town employer-wise and in some ways the only option. The unionized staff get a pretty great deal, their pay and benefits are really quite good. The exempt staff are compensated well but are expected to sacrifice to support the non-exempt staff budget. It's not going to last much longer. They can't keep squeezing us so they can make the union budget payments."
"no"
One thing Yale University can improve?
"Improve work-life balance and policies (e.g. flex-time, limit face time)"
"Central departments enjoy a greater flexibility than the academic departments. The faculty need to get with the times and recognize that I can take care of my work anywhere - not just in my office where they can come to delay me with sarcastic commentary and useless railing against the policies and procedures I'm here to apply and enforce."
Would you recommend Yale University to other women?
"Yale retains much of he old boy system among the faculty. While the administrative/business staff is forward looking they are hampered by Yale's faculty who are permitted to behave like primadonnas. In my three departments, male faculty predominate and there are many who still expect doilies under their - served - coffee cups and female staff who take care of their whims, not their needs. If you can deal with some dinosaurs, it's not too bad of a place to work. The maternity benefits aren't as good as my last employer either. I didn't expect that considering Yale is touted by Working Mother as a top 100. It's not."
"Depends on the department. Maybe I got lucky with my boss, but I feel very valued and equal in my workspace."
Research Assistant,
Would you recommend Yale University to other women?
"Time off, maternity and paternity leave are better than finance industry, but new hires get significantly less time off than employees who have been there longer than 7 years. This refers to staff, not faculty, where the inequities maybe more pronounced."
Would you recommend Yale University to other women?
"Negotiate your pay. Ask what the median pay is for people in your role? What's the market range?"
IT Professional, IT
"Thousands of employees get zero paid family leave, others in managerial and higher professional positions get 8-10 weeks paid but lose all their sick days, except the last 5."
Would you recommend Yale University to other women?
"The time you take for maternity is based off of your accrued time. If you are in management, you get 6 weeks paid by disability. Any other time is based on your own PTO bank. Previously, the university did not have short-term disability that guaranteed any maternity leave, but you could accrue up to 64 vacation days. That total vacation carry-over is now just 15 days. Therefore, maternity leave is better and worse -- all managers can have 6 paid weeks, but it is unlikely that women will be able to take 4 months paid time off like I was able to do in the past. There are a number of women in leadership roles and women are able to advance, yet we still face challenges. I find there's acceptance for taking leave and time off. Flexibility is the norm."
Manager, YARC
Would you recommend Yale University to other women?
"I put my unpaid leave as 19, but I was paid for 13 of the weeks--using my accrued sick and vacation time. I could have taken the full FMLA unpaid time off, but wanted to have a salary again. There are some childcare centers on campus but I think they are small and hard to get into. One has hours of 8:30-5, which are my normal working hours, so maybe only professors can use it? Flextime and working from home are sort of available; it depends on your boss and job. I have heard the director is not a fan of working from home. Women are in more than half of the top level jobs but it still feels male-dominated. Yale has some great benefits--a college tuition donation, free/nearly free health care option, generous vacation (if were hired before 2009), events and resources on campus. The university feels more corporate and has lessened benefits over the last 5+ years to save money. As a non-profit, there are no bonuses--except there were some recently for top admins which was ridiculous. 2 women and the outgoing president were given multimillion dollar bonuses when they left. The president's bonus was supposedly developed while he was working as an incentive to keep him there. Raises are very low (about 2-3%) in my department of the University unless you can get a promotion. The union has negotiated better raises for its members which is great but I feel it is an unfair to non-union members, and creates a usually subtle 'us vs them' atmosphere. The raises are not really merit-based; there is either a proscribed raise or little room in the budget for a meaningful raise."
Assistant, Yale University Press
Would you recommend Yale University to other women?
"I worked here for several years in a women-dominated department. I did see places in the organization where there are few or no women in senior leadership (graduate schools, specifically). There is still room to grow. As a staff member I felt that I had room to advance, a great female mentor and sponsor, and supportive policies and environment."
Would you recommend Yale University to other women?
"If you're in the union, there is no paid maternity leave."
Senior Administrative Assistant, Yale Law School
Would you recommend Yale University to other women?
"Depending on what part of the university you work, it can be flexible. But there is no paid maternity leave for union employees or short term disability. You are expected to use your accrued vacation and sick time if you want to be paid for a portion of your maternity leave. Meanwhile, non union members receive these benefits. It's ridiculous."
"Only as of this year does the university provide true paid maternity leave - 2 weeks for non-union staff. That is in addition to the 6 weeks paid short-term disability, and up to 26 weeks unpaid FMLA time. HOWEVER, union employees have no paid maternity leave and no short-term disability benefits whatsoever. If you are considering a job at Yale and may need maternity leave, be sure to check the classification of the position you are interested in! There are women in senior positions throughout the university, so it is no longer the Old Boys Club it once was - however there are still elements of that here and there. There are also huge disparities across different areas of Yale with regards to flex schedules, telecommuting, etc. It is really important to get a sense of the culture in your particular department, as there really isn't an overarching university-wide culture."
Would you recommend Yale University to other women?
"Great health benefits for those who live near enough to use the university's in-house health plan. Large disparity across different parts of the university when it comes to flex scheduling, telecommuting, etc. Yale is generally a good place to work, but I can't say I understand how they deserve a consistent spot on the Working Mother magazine list of best companies for women."
"I do see a glass escalator in the library -- men who aren't particularly impressive seem to be promoted beyond their capacities."
N/A, Library
Would you recommend Yale University to other women?
"In the scheme of things, the healthcare is good and the hours are great. But you are literally working for the patriarchy."
"Growth is slow, it's challenging to enact change. Woman are in high positions at most levels of the organization. However, when it comes to tenured faculty, men still out number women 3 to 1."
Assistant Administrator, N/A
Would you recommend Yale University to other women?
"It depends on the department and whether you are faculty or staff"
"I've worked there for a long time, and stayed through having 2 children. I returned after both maternity leaves because the people I've worked with have been very supportive. I think it helps that I built up my credibility and reputation before having kids. As a result, I'm able to flex and to work from home while my kids are home."