Research Assistant

Research & Development

Like any university, some major issues can get swept under the rug. I had a friend who was verbally abused and threatened by her boss and the university did nothing to help.

• Work-Life Friendly Attributes:

Make absolutely sure that your individual department is good. Find out what happened to whomever you are replacing and NEVER work on Medical Campus. Its horrid. Literally.

Not for Hiring, Evaluation and Reviews

If you are a lower level person the flexibility is less / . at the discretion of your manager but there is an over all culture of flexibility

• Work-Life Friendly Attributes:

Come here with your eyes wide open. It's the biggest game in town employer-wise and in some ways the only option. The unionized staff get a pretty great deal, their pay and benefits are really quite good. The exempt staff are compensated well but are expected to sacrifice to support the non-exempt staff budget. It's not going to last much longer. They can't keep squeezing us so they can make the union budget payments.

Central departments enjoy a greater flexibility than the academic departments. The faculty need to get with the times and recognize that I can take care of my work anywhere - not just in my office where they can come to delay me with sarcastic commentary and useless railing against the policies and procedures I'm here to apply and enforce.

Maybe. Yale retains much of he old boy system among the faculty. While the administrative/business staff is forward looking they are hampered by Yale's faculty who are permitted to behave like primadonnas. In my three departments, male faculty predominate and there are many who still expect doilies under their - served - coffee cups and female staff who take care of their whims, not their needs. If you can deal with some dinosaurs, it's not too bad of a place to work. The maternity benefits aren't as good as my last employer either. I didn't expect that considering Yale is touted by Working Mother as a top 100. It's not.

Research Assistant

Depends on the department. Maybe I got lucky with my boss, but I feel very valued and equal in my workspace.

Time off, maternity and paternity leave are better than finance industry, but new hires get significantly less time off than employees who have been there longer than 7 years. This refers to staff, not faculty, where the inequities maybe more pronounced.

Not for Pay, Evaluation and Reviews

IT Professional

IT

Negotiate your pay. Ask what the median pay is for people in your role? What's the market range?

Thousands of employees get zero paid family leave, others in managerial and higher professional positions get 8-10 weeks paid but lose all their sick days, except the last 5.

Manager

YARC

The time you take for maternity is based off of your accrued time. If you are in management, you get 6 weeks paid by disability. Any other time is based on your own PTO bank. Previously, the university did not have short-term disability that guaranteed any maternity leave, but you could accrue up to 64 vacation days. That total vacation carry-over is now just 15 days. Therefore, maternity leave is better and worse -- all managers can have 6 paid weeks, but it is unlikely that women will be able to take 4 months paid time off like I was able to do in the past. There are a number of women in leadership roles and women are able to advance, yet we still face challenges. I find there's acceptance for taking leave and time off. Flexibility is the norm.

Assistant

Yale University Press

I put my unpaid leave as 19, but I was paid for 13 of the weeks--using my accrued sick and vacation time. I could have taken the full FMLA unpaid time off, but wanted to have a salary again. There are some childcare centers on campus but I think they are small and hard to get into. One has hours of 8:30-5, which are my normal working hours, so maybe only professors can use it? Flextime and working from home are sort of available; it depends on your boss and job. I have heard the director is not a fan of working from home. Women are in more than half of the top level jobs but it still feels male-dominated. Yale has some great benefits--a college tuition donation, free/nearly free health care option, generous vacation (if were hired before 2009), events and resources on campus. The university feels more corporate and has lessened benefits over the last 5+ years to save money. As a non-profit, there are no bonuses--except there were some recently for top admins which was ridiculous. 2 women and the outgoing president were given multimillion dollar bonuses when they left. The president's bonus was supposedly developed while he was working as an incentive to keep him there. Raises are very low (about 2-3%) in my department of the University unless you can get a promotion. The union has negotiated better raises for its members which is great but I feel it is an unfair to non-union members, and creates a usually subtle 'us vs them' atmosphere. The raises are not really merit-based; there is either a proscribed raise or little room in the budget for a meaningful raise.

I worked here for several years in a women-dominated department. I did see places in the organization where there are few or no women in senior leadership (graduate schools, specifically). There is still room to grow. As a staff member I felt that I had room to advance, a great female mentor and sponsor, and supportive policies and environment.

Senior Administrative Assistant

Yale Law School

If you're in the union, there is no paid maternity leave.

Maybe. Depending on what part of the university you work, it can be flexible. But there is no paid maternity leave for union employees or short term disability. You are expected to use your accrued vacation and sick time if you want to be paid for a portion of your maternity leave. Meanwhile, non union members receive these benefits. It's ridiculous.