Yale University

Research Assistant

Depends on the department. Maybe I got lucky with my boss, but I feel very valued and equal in my workspace.

rj2000

Time off, maternity and paternity leave are better than finance industry, but new hires get significantly less time off than employees who have been there longer than 7 years. This refers to staff, not faculty, where the inequities maybe more pronounced.

Not for Pay, Evaluation and Reviews

Equalpay

IT Professional

IT

Negotiate your pay. Ask what the median pay is for people in your role? What's the market range?

• Recent Bonus (USD)

Thousands of employees get zero paid family leave, others in managerial and higher professional positions get 8-10 weeks paid but lose all their sick days, except the last 5.

Lady Voy

Manager

YARC

The time you take for maternity is based off of your accrued time. If you are in management, you get 6 weeks paid by disability. Any other time is based on your own PTO bank. Previously, the university did not have short-term disability that guaranteed any maternity leave, but you could accrue up to 64 vacation days. That total vacation carry-over is now just 15 days. Therefore, maternity leave is better and worse -- all managers can have 6 paid weeks, but it is unlikely that women will be able to take 4 months paid time off like I was able to do in the past. There are a number of women in leadership roles and women are able to advance, yet we still face challenges. I find there's acceptance for taking leave and time off. Flexibility is the norm.

Lady Semi-longtime Staffer

Assistant

Yale University Press

I put my unpaid leave as 19, but I was paid for 13 of the weeks--using my accrued sick and vacation time. I could have taken the full FMLA unpaid time off, but wanted to have a salary again. There are some childcare centers on campus but I think they are small and hard to get into. One has hours of 8:30-5, which are my normal working hours, so maybe only professors can use it? Flextime and working from home are sort of available; it depends on your boss and job. I have heard the director is not a fan of working from home. Women are in more than half of the top level jobs but it still feels male-dominated. Yale has some great benefits--a college tuition donation, free/nearly free health care option, generous vacation (if were hired before 2009), events and resources on campus. The university feels more corporate and has lessened benefits over the last 5+ years to save money. As a non-profit, there are no bonuses--except there were some recently for top admins which was ridiculous. 2 women and the outgoing president were given multimillion dollar bonuses when they left. The president's bonus was supposedly developed while he was working as an incentive to keep him there. Raises are very low (about 2-3%) in my department of the University unless you can get a promotion. The union has negotiated better raises for its members which is great but I feel it is an unfair to non-union members, and creates a usually subtle 'us vs them' atmosphere. The raises are not really merit-based; there is either a proscribed raise or little room in the budget for a meaningful raise.

Madam M5

I worked here for several years in a women-dominated department. I did see places in the organization where there are few or no women in senior leadership (graduate schools, specifically). There is still room to grow. As a staff member I felt that I had room to advance, a great female mentor and sponsor, and supportive policies and environment.

Senior Administrative Assistant

Yale Law School

If you're in the union, there is no paid maternity leave.

• Recent Bonus (USD)

Depending on what part of the university you work, it can be flexible. But there is no paid maternity leave for union employees or short term disability. You are expected to use your accrued vacation and sick time if you want to be paid for a portion of your maternity leave. Meanwhile, non union members receive these benefits. It's ridiculous.

Madam New Haven

Only as of this year does the university provide true paid maternity leave - 2 weeks for non-union staff. That is in addition to the 6 weeks paid short-term disability, and up to 26 weeks unpaid FMLA time. HOWEVER, union employees have no paid maternity leave and no short-term disability benefits whatsoever. If you are considering a job at Yale and may need maternity leave, be sure to check the classification of the position you are interested in! There are women in senior positions throughout the university, so it is no longer the Old Boys Club it once was - however there are still elements of that here and there. There are also huge disparities across different areas of Yale with regards to flex schedules, telecommuting, etc. It is really important to get a sense of the culture in your particular department, as there really isn't an overarching university-wide culture.

• Recent Bonus (USD)

Great health benefits for those who live near enough to use the university's in-house health plan. Large disparity across different parts of the university when it comes to flex scheduling, telecommuting, etc. Yale is generally a good place to work, but I can't say I understand how they deserve a consistent spot on the Working Mother magazine list of best companies for women.

Lady Librarian

Library

I do see a glass escalator in the library -- men who aren't particularly impressive seem to be promoted beyond their capacities.

• Recent Bonus (USD)

In the scheme of things, the healthcare is good and the hours are great. But you are literally working for the patriarchy.

Lady evonne

Assistant Administrator

Growth is slow, it's challenging to enact change. Woman are in high positions at most levels of the organization. However, when it comes to tenured faculty, men still out number women 3 to 1.

• Recent Bonus (USD)

It depends on the department and whether you are faculty or staff

Women Review Yale University for Culture, Pay and Gender Equality | Fairygodboss

Free, anonymous reviews of Yale University by female employees, including pay, hours, maternity leave, flextime, and company culture

stars, based on 11 reviews Company Website anon2713 rj2000 Equalpay Lady Voy Lady Semi-longtime Staffer Madam M5 Lady anon496 Madam New Haven Lady Librarian Lady evonne