Only as of this year does the university provide true paid maternity leave - 2 weeks for non-union staff. That is in addition to the 6 weeks paid short-term disability, and up to 26 weeks unpaid FMLA time. HOWEVER, union employees have no paid maternity leave and no short-term disability benefits whatsoever. If you are considering a job at Yale and may need maternity leave, be sure to check the classification of the position you are interested in! There are women in senior positions throughout the university, so it is no longer the Old Boys Club it once was - however there are still elements of that here and there. There are also huge disparities across different areas of Yale with regards to flex schedules, telecommuting, etc. It is really important to get a sense of the culture in your particular department, as there really isn't an overarching university-wide culture.

Maybe. Great health benefits for those who live near enough to use the university's in-house health plan. Large disparity across different parts of the university when it comes to flex scheduling, telecommuting, etc. Yale is generally a good place to work, but I can't say I understand how they deserve a consistent spot on the Working Mother magazine list of best companies for women.

Library

I do see a glass escalator in the library -- men who aren't particularly impressive seem to be promoted beyond their capacities.

Maybe. In the scheme of things, the healthcare is good and the hours are great. But you are literally working for the patriarchy.

Assistant Administrator

Growth is slow, it's challenging to enact change. Woman are in high positions at most levels of the organization. However, when it comes to tenured faculty, men still out number women 3 to 1.

Maybe. It depends on the department and whether you are faculty or staff

I've worked there for a long time, and stayed through having 2 children. I returned after both maternity leaves because the people I've worked with have been very supportive. I think it helps that I built up my credibility and reputation before having kids. As a result, I'm able to flex and to work from home while my kids are home.