- Headquarters Location San Francisco, CA (United States)
- Number of Employees 1,001-5,000
- Website https://squareup.com
We believe everyone should be able to participate and thrive in the economy. So we’re building tools that make commerce easier and more accessible to all.
We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, and our Cash app lets people pay each other back instantly.
We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location.
Highlights from Square
Meet a Fairygodboss at Square
CFO San Francisco, CASarah is Square's Chief Financial Officer. Sarah previously served as SVP of Finance & Strategy at salesforce.com, and as lead software analyst and Business Unit Leader for Goldman Sachs' Technology Research Group.
Meet a Fairygodboss at Square
Seller Lead (Head of Engineering, Product, Design for Point of Sale) San Francisco, CAAlyssa leads product management, design, and engineering for Square's seller facing products including payments, point of sale, Customer Engagement, and Payroll. She previously served as VP of Amazon Web Services (AWS) Storage Services and Product Unit Manager for Microsoft SQL Server Data Access.
What Women Should Know about Working At Square
As our team grows, we continue to be open and collaborative with the help of our unique office designs, team structures, and how we share information. Our offices have open floor plans with glass conference rooms, standup tables, and public meetings spaces, like our coffee bar and library.
We keep our teams small and full-stack, meaning teams consist of engineers, designers, and product managers. And, we stay transparent by sharing product roadmaps and metrics on hanging monitors, through company-wide, bi-weekly meetings, and by sharing notes from every meeting via email.
Life at Square wouldn't be the same without movie nights, Square Games, our annual Holiday Party, and Bring Your Kids to Work Day. These are a few ways that we like to celebrate and bond over common interests.
Gender diversity statistics
Gender diversity information
At Square, ~70 percent of Square employees report to four women executives, which includes our finance, engineering, product, counsel, and people teams.
Our Women@ Square community has been around almost as long as our company and leads many internal initiatives, including a new hire buddy program, mentorship opportunities, a speaker series, and skill-focused workshops. By design, we have an equal parental leave policy for both mothers and fathers (16 weeks). We also invest in our external community through our homegrown initiatives like Code Camp and partnership with organizations like Girls Who Code and NCWIT.
- Women directors on board 25%
Programs, initiatives, groups
- Additional information Yes, internal employee groups and initiatives encourage all Squares to support women
- Unconscious bias training Yes
- Flexible working policies Life at Square wouldn't be the same without movie nights, Square Games, our annual Holiday Party, and Bring Your Kids to Work Day. These are a few ways that we like to celebrate and bond over common interests.
- Remote working No
- Part-time working No
- Percentage of your workforce that takes advantage of flexible working 16%
Overview: Parental leave policies
Taking time from work due to personal, medical, or military reasons allows Squares to focus on a variety of life situations.
In addition, we're proud to offer our paid parental leave policy allowing eligible employees up to 16 weeks of leave at 100% pay to care for a newborn, recently adopted child, or a new foster child. Both birth and non-birth parents are eligible as long as they have completed six months of service at Square.
- Paid maternity leave Yes, 16 weeks
- Unpaid maternity leave No
- Paid paternity leave Yes, 16 weeks
- Unpaid paternity leave No
- Adoptive paid leave Yes, 16 weeks
- Short-term disability benefits Yes
- Additional short-term disability info Square utilizes state disability insurance (where available) as well as private disability insurance. The benefit amount ranges depending on geographic location. New moms who have six months of service are eligible for "top up pay", in addition to disability benefits.
Other benefits information
Square offers home-grown community groups for new moms, parents, and women. These groups allow employees to share resources, parenting tips, and foster mentorship.
New parents also have access to a wide range of discounts on day care services, baby products, museums, and kids camps. Squa-rents can also enjoy family bonding events from the Annual Family Picnic to Bring Your Kids to Work Day.
- Lactation facilities Yes
- Phased-in post-maternity return Yes
- Fertility benefits Yes
Care-taking benefits information
Square recognizes and supports flexible work arrangements for employees with caregiving responsibilities. We also recognize that each employee has unique needs when it comes to balancing family and work commitments.
Employees who have been working at Square for at least six months may request a flexible work arrangement to assist with caring for a child, an elderly parent, or a family member with a serious health condition.
- Childcare subsidies Yes
- PTO that explicitly covers care-taking Yes
- Elder-care benefits Yes