Apple

Headquarters:Cupertino, CA(United States)10,000+ Employees
3.8

"Tech can be tough for women....Apple is no exception - being reprimanded for tone or coming across too strongly is too frequent - male counterparts do not have this lens to work under"
One thing Apple can improve?
"competency and proficiency in roles is not always number one requirement - this can lead to frustration for the competent - who may then be seen as problematic- alliances are called out as critical - though until you have established them and "assimilated" your view may be seen as confrontational"
, Engineering
Would you recommend Apple to other women?
"The culture is very unique - some areas (outside of Engineering and Operations) may lean more toward gender neutrality - would advise to consider position, reporting structure and initial compensation and RSU upfront and negotiate firmly"
"The flexibility is good but the pay is not a living wage for someone who is single or has a family."
Senior Mac Expert, Customer Service
Would you recommend Apple to other women?
"The pay is not a living wage. "
"Nothing"
One thing Apple can improve?
"Not much; it's a great place to work"
"Nothing"
One thing Apple can improve?
"Not much; it's a great place to work"
Would you recommend Apple to other women?
"I've never thought that someone was getting treated better because they were male. Some of the other women at work may say differently, but I don't think that this is down to them being female. It's down to a lack of respect for their ability to do the job - and other men who are unable to do their job will also experience a lack of respect too. There are often female warriors at work who preach the feminist battle - but it's important for them to recognise their own shortfalls before blaming it on them being female."
One thing Apple can improve?
"It's hard for me to say given that I work in the Retail side of the company. I'm not hugely interested in continuing in Retail. However, I want to stay with the company. So whilst there isn't much they can do in my current role, it doesn't mean I'm necessarily happy about it."
Would you recommend Apple to other women?
"Working here is pretty fantastic. We make the best products, have some of the smartest, most driven and caring teams around, and our benefits are first rate. That said, the tech industry as a whole is pretty male dominated. There aren't a lot of females around for you to mentor or for you to try and identify a path to success with. Things like moving from an entry-level position to a mid level leader can be really tough, because there are so few women acting as mid or lower level leaders. I sometimes think they might not "see" you as an option to promote. The only other difficult part of the limited number of females, is the lack of females starting families. Most women are college aged themselves or have school age children. When I had questions on what pregnancy at work looked like or how maternity leave worked, I had to refer to HR and was unable to ask my peers. It wasn't the worst thing, and is hardly a knock on the company, but it can make it interesting for someone who is trying to find resources from friends. If you do start a family while at Apple though ...the maternity leave is great. I was on leave for four paid months bonding with my little one!"