Sign Up and Win $500! One new Fairygodboss per month is randomly selected. T&C's apply.

AstraZeneca

www.astrazeneca.com

pennstaterinmaryland

The downside in AZ Biologics Operations is that there aren't a lot of women in this division, and the ones that are there are typically relegated to Project Management roles. The upside is that these women have formed a tight knit, supportive group to help each other out. I've never had a peer group of women that looked out for one another so fiercely. We didn't hold back but everything we shared and all the candid feedback was given in a caring environment meant to improve one another and bolster our presence in the group.

• Recent Bonus (USD)

I had my baby 3 yrs ago, and I think policies have changed since then but... it was AMAZING. I received 4 wks fully paid parental leave (both moms and dads get this) and 8 wks paid short term 'disability' as I had a c-section. My paychecks during mat leave were EXACTLY THE SAME as when I was working. I accrued leave the same as if I'd been there those 3 mths. And although I worked for a man and in a group with only 2 peers, both of whom were men, I can't imagine having a better support group. Each of those men were dedicated dads. The excitement on all their faces when I told them I was expecting and the support they gave me during pregnancy, leave and after my return as a sleep-deprived new mom was the best anyone could hope for. Most of my male co-workers all across the hierarchy were dads and were committed family men. I wouldn't say that AZ necessarily fosters an environment where family men want to work (although the flex time and remote work options help), but throughout the organization I saw many family men who were committed to both their corporate and dad jobs.

• Flexibility of the employer

I worked a partial remote work schedule for 5+ yrs, primarily due to my commute, which was 60 miles one way and often took 1.5-2 hrs to drive. I was able to work 3 days a week in the office, working 7-8 hrs and then 2 days a week from home, working 9-10 hrs. I felt like an effective team member and team lead the entire time. Ultimately, however, new management wanted to everyone in the office 5 days per week, regardless of their proven track record working partial remote schedules. This is what caused me to leave AZ. With a husband who also has a long commute and a 3 yr old son, our family couldn't sustain my doing the long commute and 8-9 hr days in the office 5 days per week. While AZ touts their flex hours and remote work programs, they leave it to the manager's discretion to approve/deny a worker's request to participate.

Even though women aren't as highly respected as men at AZ, I still did feel like a valued team member. With regards to pay, I felt I was well compensated for the work I did even though I knew the men in similar roles were making more and being promoted at a faster rate. As a Project Manager/Team Lead, I was often the only woman in the room. I'd say women made up only 10-15% of the our Operations/Supply Chain team. And very few women held technical SME jobs.

toronto2017

very old school and women don't support each other in upper management. Old pharma mindset

depends on your manager

good benefits

asdf9876

Great benefits. Tends to be on the leading edge with family-related benefits.

Better leaders

Flexible working and working from home are encouraged and very common

Lady PR Girl

Senior Manager

Corporate Affairs

I'm fairly new to the company, but what I've observed so far is a signficant emphasis on work/life balance, and on improving the percentage of female senior leaders. There are many working parents who seem to be well-respected, and I haven't felt judged when I've had to run out the door to pick up a sick kid, take a half day for the daycare Christmas party, etc. I wasn't working here when I had my kids, but I understand that the maternity leave policy is generous (including 2 weeks off before due date).

Lady New England

Senior Scientist

The Company has been promoting leadership training for certain career levels in R & D, as they have realized an imbalance of women at higher career bands. The numbers say it all; whilst women are thriving in the lab, stepping into leadership is not easily done. I have seen 3 women leaders leave their associate director roles due to a lack of support by male colleagues. As a result, women, when they see another colleague pregnant, they quietly support her with information on leave. That said, AZ offers a very generous 7 weeks paid and up to a total of 26 weeks, including FMLA. I don't know many who have taken the full 6 months.

Women Review AstraZeneca for Culture, Pay and Gender Equality | Fairygodboss

Free, anonymous reviews of AstraZeneca by female employees, including pay, hours, maternity leave, flextime, and company culture

stars, based on 6 reviews Company Website pennstaterinmaryland toronto2017 asdf9876 anon1663 Lady PR Girl Lady New England