NewFairy

The onboarding experience is poor and there is no concept of formal career development, although HR seems to think that offering training programs equates to this. There are lots of women in senior roles and opportunities to move around and progress.

Rainy

There are many women in executive positions and they do a lot for women coming up in the ranks to train for the next job. The family leave just got better, but in the States, we all still have a long way to go.

Lady Patience

Paid time off benefit is outstanding which makes for a fantastic work-lif balance. However, compensation is very low for mid-leadership and below jobs.

If you're looking for benefits other than pay.
Countess

Learn as many technical skills as possible. Project management is important.

djer Real Time

It is a workplace where my team is very diverse (ethnically) and predominantly female-comprised and female-led.

#Iwork@DJ

Dow Jones is a company where you could spend your entire career with endless opportunity. Dow Jones is a business with an entrepreneurial spirit, dynamic, innovative, and ambitious. Dow Jones has an open environment that thrives on candor, speed, risk taking, and transparency. No matter what department you work within, you are in control and your talents will shine. I could work anywhere but I ‘d prefer to work at Dow Jones, a leader in news, content, innovation and technology. You just can't get this anywhere else!

iamwoman Customer Service Representative, Customer Service

Customer Service is one of the most stagnant positions. Hardly any room for growth.

Maybe not ym current role but it's a really good company to work for.

Dow Jones is a well-rounded and respected brand name for journalism and world-class news; however, the attention for the smaller departments that are the frontline are not appreciated or compensated accordingly. I would recommend Dow Jones as an employer for name and compensation; however, in regards to promoting within and flexible hours, this is not the best place for it.

The company in of itself is great; the department I currently work for is not recommended for career growth.
girlwhowrites Editor, Newsroom

Everything varies greatly depending on location and department. Some managers are more flexible than others, and some departments actually have female managers, although on the news side, the higher up you go, the fewer women in management you'll see. It also depends on your role. If you're a reporter overseas, you'll be expected to be available on-demand at all hours (because everything revolves around the New York time zone and editors have little respect for your personal life and the fact that you have one and it's in a different time zone). That's understandable when it's breaking news, but they won't make any attempts to edit your stories early even when they're features; they will put it all off until they day before the story runs and make you stay up until 3 a.m. to answer questions that could have been addresses weeks ago during reasonable hours. The recent union study obviously shows that men are paid better for doing the same work. Pay and benefits vary widely at the company, unforutnately, and there is no standard package. It just depends what you're able to negotiate at the time you come in (best bet is to take a job here in the fall, as the budget restarts July 1, and so there's never any money until the new budget year). There are a lot of opportunities to move about in the company, which is one of the good things about working here, and depending on your role, a lot of it can usually be done remotely, at least in theory. But moving up into a management position is more difficult and it doesn't seem that women make it very often. (For example, every single bureau chief in the Asia Pacific region is a white male.)

Depends what you're looking for; if you're willing to put up with some of the downsides of working here in exchange for working at a top brand newspaper, it could be worth it.
borntoedit News Editor

There are not enough women in leadership positions and that is very difficult if you're a young woman looking for guidance and mentorship. Big decisions still seem to be overwhelmingly run by white men and there is no real desire to change this it seems.

It really depends which bureau or level you come in at, and whether you have a good mentor. But many many women have said that they feel this company is much more difficult if you're not a man.

Women Review Dow Jones for Culture, Pay and Gender Equality | Fairygodboss

Free, anonymous reviews of Dow Jones by female employees, including pay, hours, maternity leave, flextime, and company culture

3.4 stars, based on 83 reviews Company Website NewFairy Rainy Lady Patience Countess djer #Iwork@DJ iamwoman anon1474 girlwhowrites borntoedit