There are some really great people here and many women have done well at Gartner. But much depends on the leadership and their attitudes. I still get mansplaining from some of the long-timers, instead of strategic advice. I still find myself questioning if the pitch of my voice is some level of frequency that can not be heard by men in certain meetings, and then I hear my own words echoed back to me later in the meeting. That at times it takes two men to explain to operational staff what I had already explained in the first place for them to "hear" my issue or concerns. I try not to hold my own bias but it's uncanny how some of these situations happen over and over again. One stark reality is that that leadership of Gartner is mostly male, and there are no women leaders in technology-related areas. Women leadership is the traditional tech company profile; primarily in HR and marketing.

Per comments above, depends on division and leadership.

• Family Friendly Aspects?

Improve life-work balance AND mean it. There's a lot of lip service to it but from what I can tell the policies are in place at HR but it's a black box when you need real help. Workers are overly-measured and those policies are killing life-work balance. For example, I am measured to make sure that I make 50% of my time available for one aspect of the my job that only accounts for 1/3rd of my performance. That means I need to do 2/3rds of my job in the remaining 50% of my time. The impact is I work longer hours.

Maybe. It depends on the job. Some divisions are more diverse and unbiased versus others. I would never recommend a job in the Consulting division to any woman. Research division is dependent on the group leadership - CEB great for women, ITL can be tough if the leadership are old-timers. Right now Research is top heavy, which can negatively impact the quality of life for all workers. Other divisions, marketing, sales, HR, operations are much more inclusive.

dreamer1282

Vice President (VP)

Product

Culture is getting better every day, you will be surrounded by some of the smartest people in the nation, this has helped me push myself forward and get better everyday!

jkbornot

If you are African American please run. Save yourself the time and the stress.

Not for Pay, Evaluation and Reviews

flexibility is allowed only if you are a manager favorite

Be fair and non-discriminatory

Vice President

Customer Service

A great place to work, interesting, smart people, passionate, sincerely people oriented - in a few LOBs only. right LOB you'll love it. wrong LOB, you'll be miserable

awesome in some LOBs, awful in others. no consistently - all dependent on the LOB leader

our company just added back in leave for those adopting children. had removed after financial market collapse.

• Family Friendly Aspects?

Maybe. depends on LOB. my current LOB is fabulous - unique culture, and interestingly the only one run largely by women. therefore my high satisfaction. in prior LOB I was planning my exit...

Great company, depending on LOB. More women are moving to leadership positions. but certainly not at the forefront of diversity - any kind of diversity.

never was pregnant. our company did add back in leave for adopted children - 6 weeks i believe. (removed during economic downturn plus.. ('07-'15)

close to promote more women - rather, ensure a fair, safe environment. a lot of unfair, unequal, 'boys club' practices, unless in the right LOB. i currently work in the only LOB run by a women and LOVE it.

Maybe. depending on LOB. VERY different between LOBs - 180 degrees. never for the LOB i was in. yes, for the current LOB. my current job is run by one of the very FEW women leaders in our company

Not many women in senior leadership roles, sales team 90% men

IntegritySalesLeader

Make your goals clear, and document them. You'll have to work twice as hard to get recognized, and heavily promote yourself, but you have to be smart, timely and political in how you do it.

Anonymommy

Vice President (VP)

It's a growing company with a phenomenally successful stock and many opportunities for professional growth.

• Family Friendly Aspects?

Maybe. I would recommend it to anyone who doesn't strive to be at the executive level. Women are grossly underrepresented in the upper eschelons of Gartner. However, it's got a positive culture, the benefits (other than maternity / paternity) are outstanding, and the pay is fair.

Lady McLady

Manager

Gartner has a phenomenal culture. Everyone is incredibly supportive here - most people have kids and make it work. Very reasonable hours and very flexible.

Lady HR

They have a long way to go. They are growing but have not caught up to what they think they are. No real maternity just short term disability, which means nothing for adoption or dads. There are women in management roles but it is male dominated.

Maybe. Really depends who and what department you work for/in