Up to 3 years leave of absence is available at manager's discretion.

hitechwoman

You are responsible for your career advancement. Get a mentor.

Company has had 16 bad financial quarters
Not layoff so many long-time employees
Lady Baker VP, Marketing

With a few of the most senior positions in the company filled by women at the top, it's hard for anyone to suggest that women's careers here are not nurtured. The support network is great. Yes, it's a tech industry and there are a lot of men in tech. But the company walks the talk on flexibility and always has.I worked part-time for 13 years raising my kids, and it didn't hurt my career. Women are not judged harshly for also taking care of responsibilities outside the office.

Lady FinanceLady Finance Manager, Delivery Services - F&A

Both men and women are treated equally for the most part. You will still get those instances of having an idea and a man not listening at all or later making it seem as if it was their idea.

Madam Forty-something

IBM is still under 30% for women in leadership positions. While they have many programs to help women move up in the business, it's still challenging in the culture.

Lady Red1369 Application Services

Very large pay gap between men and women.

Lady RedheadPM

IBM is, at least in the area I worked, a place where women are hired, mentored, sponsored, and promoted fairly. While the current outlook at the company isn't so hot (general morale is down, no matter which gender you are, which I why I didn't give it a top rating), now that I've been away from IBM for a couple of years, I realize how spoiled I was by the excellent gender equity within my organization compared to my current employer. Many companies *talk* about gender equality in the workplace, but in my experience, IBM actually *walks* it. At IBM, I had female role models in all higher-level positions (at one time having all female managers: first-line, second-line, director and VP - in a VERY technical area!), and the women's networking, mentoring, and sponsorship efforts are plentiful. I worked from home for over a decade and still felt connected and respected by my peers. Finally, when I told my manager that I wanted to take seven months of maternity leave (most of it unpaid, of course), my manager didn't blink an eye...and my job was still there when I returned. I will forever be grateful to IBM for allowing me that time with my son without forcing me to step completely off the career track.

Lady TechSales Business Analytics Sales, Midwest

There are MANY pros for working for IBM: the benefits are incredible, the 401k is too, I made very good money in my role, I worked from home, and I worked probably 4-5 hours on an average day (of course I worked occasional 10 hour days but it probably averaged out to about 5 hours a day). That being said, I experienced a few negatives as a female. I was the only female on my team for a year. I was also the only person under 40 (and I'm way under 40) on the team. I experienced numerous inappropriate comments from the men on my team, and my manager was the worst offender of them all. That being said, I do not think my experience was typical - I have many female friends within IBM who never experienced anything of that sort.

Lady anon726 Advisory Software Engineer

overall I would say this is a good company for woman to work with. It allows flexible working hours and doesn't require you always at the office. As far as you can be reached whenever the manager or co-worker needs you, it is ok for you to work remote.

Lady Compliance Security Analyst, SARM

I worked here for 3 years in an IT Security Compliance position. In my experience, women are openly treated like second class citizens and sex objects. I have heard it was better on other teams, but I did not have anywhere close to a good experience. The men in the office openly will talk about women as sex objects, talk about what it would be like to have sex with them. Rate them on how hot they are or how fat they are, how willing they think they would be to give blow jobs in the parking lot, start rumors about them having sex with different guys they work with, etc. Women in higher up positions would laugh and say, "It's a man's world, deal with it" when I would complain. Or joke that I wouldn't be complaining if the guys thought I was "hotter".

It really depends on the team and the manager. But company-wide they don't have very good protective policies in place if you find yourself on a bad team.

Women Review IBM for Culture, Pay and Gender Equality | Fairygodboss

Free, anonymous reviews of IBM by female employees, including pay, hours, maternity leave, flextime, and company culture

3.3 stars, based on 85 reviews Company Website hitechwoman Lady Baker Lady FinanceLady Madam Forty-something Lady Red1369 Lady RedheadPM Lady TechSales Lady anon726 Lady Compliance