• Top rated company 2016
  • Top rated company 2017

Lady RedheadPM

IBM is, at least in the area I worked, a place where women are hired, mentored, sponsored, and promoted fairly. While the current outlook at the company isn't so hot (general morale is down, no matter which gender you are, which I why I didn't give it a top rating), now that I've been away from IBM for a couple of years, I realize how spoiled I was by the excellent gender equity within my organization compared to my current employer. Many companies *talk* about gender equality in the workplace, but in my experience, IBM actually *walks* it. At IBM, I had female role models in all higher-level positions (at one time having all female managers: first-line, second-line, director and VP - in a VERY technical area!), and the women's networking, mentoring, and sponsorship efforts are plentiful. I worked from home for over a decade and still felt connected and respected by my peers. Finally, when I told my manager that I wanted to take seven months of maternity leave (most of it unpaid, of course), my manager didn't blink an eye...and my job was still there when I returned. I will forever be grateful to IBM for allowing me that time with my son without forcing me to step completely off the career track.

Lady TechSales

Business Analytics Sales

Midwest

There are MANY pros for working for IBM: the benefits are incredible, the 401k is too, I made very good money in my role, I worked from home, and I worked probably 4-5 hours on an average day (of course I worked occasional 10 hour days but it probably averaged out to about 5 hours a day). That being said, I experienced a few negatives as a female. I was the only female on my team for a year. I was also the only person under 40 (and I'm way under 40) on the team. I experienced numerous inappropriate comments from the men on my team, and my manager was the worst offender of them all. That being said, I do not think my experience was typical - I have many female friends within IBM who never experienced anything of that sort.

Advisory Software Engineer

overall I would say this is a good company for woman to work with. It allows flexible working hours and doesn't require you always at the office. As far as you can be reached whenever the manager or co-worker needs you, it is ok for you to work remote.

Lady Compliance

Security Analyst

SARM

I worked here for 3 years in an IT Security Compliance position. In my experience, women are openly treated like second class citizens and sex objects. I have heard it was better on other teams, but I did not have anywhere close to a good experience. The men in the office openly will talk about women as sex objects, talk about what it would be like to have sex with them. Rate them on how hot they are or how fat they are, how willing they think they would be to give blow jobs in the parking lot, start rumors about them having sex with different guys they work with, etc. Women in higher up positions would laugh and say, "It's a man's world, deal with it" when I would complain. Or joke that I wouldn't be complaining if the guys thought I was "hotter".

Maybe. It really depends on the team and the manager. But company-wide they don't have very good protective policies in place if you find yourself on a bad team.

Sr. Manager

GBS (consulting)

I had a boss forbid me from telling a client I was pregnant for fear of them not extending me on a contract. I was nearly 20 weeks pregnant at the time. What about my safety if something happened? He was a huge jerk, and all I wanted to do was to move to a new boss. I tried to talk to him about how much this mandate upset me and was none of his business, and he just hurled insults. I had to report him to HR because his rules were illegal, and nothing happened to him. What a joke. I left soon after. Even during my short-term disability, the company pestered me for documentation and documentation to justify my time away from the job. There are too many other great companies out there--please pass on this one.

Management Consultant

GBS

I worked as a GBS management consultant (100% travel) for four years. I was frequently the only woman on my team and the only working mother. Departments are highly siloed and networking opportunities limited. Maternity leave was a mess. My manager had no idea how to go about the paperwork and assuming everything was filled correctly, the processing was a nightmare. I lost my healthcare coverage twice while on leave - once while on paid leave, and again while on unpaid leave. HR also missed two months (8 weeks or 4 paychecks) of my payroll after I returned to work. I was on the phone sorting things out with insurance, hospitals, and the IBM employee hotline every week for the first six months of giving birth. It was an administrative nightmare on top of all the normal stress for new moms, working parents, and consulting professionals.

Senior Consultant

Global Business Services

Many women in leadership roles but often seemed unhappy in their lives outside of work.

Maybe. Good benefits

Women are rising in the company as witnessed by their current CEO. While I was there there was a good number of women in the marketing departments but the proportion of female to male is still off.

Maybe. depending on her job and department

Lady Safety

Software Engineer

Management was male dominated, very competitive atmosphere resulted in long hours away from home.

Lady Lovee

Manager

They should know what they want.