Sign Up and Win $500! One new Fairygodboss per month is randomly selected. T&C's apply.

Indiana University

sully1127

Indiana University seems to me to be seriously behind other research institutions of its kind as far as what it is willing to pay its employees and the benefits that it gives those employees.

• Recent Bonus (USD)

As someone expecting a child right now, I have been disappointed by the lack of support for my employment class. I am also required to take almost half of my annual vacation time during a week-long period when the library is closed for the winter holiday. This leaves me only a week of paid time off to see family that live in other parts of the country. There is great disparity of benefits between different pay grades, and people that I work with closely are given many more opportunities to achieve a good work-life balance. This makes this employer very difficult to recommend, although I love the work I do.

There is so much bureaucracy that it's frustrating and often feels hard to do a good job and get anything done.

Madam bloom2015

I've worked here for over 4 years. There is some inequity between employee class types. Faculty members receive paid parental leave, while professional and support staff must use accrued paid time off, but your jobs is protected for 12 weeks under FMLA. As professional staff member, I had to be very stingy about taking any time ahead of the birth so that I would have enough PTO saved to cover (just part) of my maternity leave. Though, it was a comfort knowing I had a job to come back. Also, experiences vary from department to department. Thankfully, my supervisor was open to allowing me to come back part time and work my way back up to full time.

Lady LuLu1024

Raises are not easy to come by. The only raise you get is when you switch jobs/departments within the university.

Depends on the department

Lady luck

I've never had children, but from what I've seen it's extremely family friendly.

• Recent Bonus (USD)

Women Review Indiana University for Culture, Pay and Gender Equality | Fairygodboss

Free, anonymous reviews of Indiana University by female employees, including pay, hours, maternity leave, flextime, and company culture

stars, based on 5 reviews Company Website sully1127 anon1657 Madam bloom2015 Lady LuLu1024 Lady luck