Verizon Communications

"Be selective of who you work for. Some bosses are better than others. "
"Improve work-life balance and policies (e.g. flex-time, limit face time)"
"They claim to be mother-friendly, but the reality is, that it's all dependent upon who you report into and which group you are in."
"they have recently updated their policy, more mom-friendly than in the past. However, again, your job may be in jeopardy depending on your boss."
Would you recommend Verizon Communications to other women?
"They go through a massive lay off at least once per year. Sometimes Sales & Customer Service are impacted, but mostly HQ/corporate employees. It's a volatile environment."
"Great pay, great benefits, a lot of room to learn and grow. If you want to succeed and get to an executive level you're required to move around different locations as you start to get groomed for a larger role."
One thing Verizon Communications can improve?
"Promote at the California office, if you want to get ahead it's required that you move to the mothership that is Basking Ridge, NJ."
Manager, Marketing
Would you recommend Verizon Communications to other women?
"Great company with excellent benefits for working moms and dads. "
, Human Resources
Would you recommend Verizon Communications to other women?
"morale is low; on the surface, gender diversity is supported but there are a lot of politics at play behind the scenes. I would recommend working to the best of your capability, networking to the highest level possible, keeping your eyes & ears open for advancement opportunities, and going for them as soon as they present themselves. "
, Operations
"due to the nature of the work (network operations center) there is little room for flexibility"
Would you recommend Verizon Communications to other women?
"Ensure that you are mentally healthy and strong enough to constantly be coached to certain behaviors and be willing and able to handle a constant high stress environment. Make sure you have a healthy outlet for your stress."
One thing Verizon Communications can improve?
"I'm unable to select only one thing that would make me stay. They need to improve compensation for management, improve work-life balance, and reduce the amount of stress supervisors endure due to unrealistic expectations they're held to."
Customer Service Supervisor, Customer Service
"Once you're promoted to supervisor or higher, your options for flexibility are a bit more limited as well as the fact that you're normally "coached" or given a speech about your need to be at work all the time to set an example for front line employees. So even if you're granted flexibility for a situation, it's still looked at negatively which is another source of stress "
"You are given 6-8 weeks paid maternity leave in addition to another 8 weeks of paid "parental leave" which used to be referred to as baby bonding time. This is definitely one of the best benefits of the job. "
Would you recommend Verizon Communications to other women?
"It would depend on what type of job the woman is looking for and how much stress she would be willing to endure from her employment."
"Like most large enterprises your experience here will vary based on the group you work with. "
, Marketing
"After I had maternity leave it was increased from 2 week and to 8 weeks "
Would you recommend Verizon Communications to other women?
"Verizon is a great place to work. There are some places they could improve, especially for women with children who have special needs. They are really trying to get women into more leadership positions. "
Customer Service Advocate, Customer Service
"This employer offers lots of pto, and flex time to adjust schedules as needed. Flex is only available once per week, and only 3 weeks of any given month. They are unwilling to adjust schedules for recurring Dr. Appts. "
Would you recommend Verizon Communications to other women?
"Keep your boundaries about what hours you will work. If you want get ahead schmooze a lot and speak up at meetings."
"Improve work-life balance and policies (e.g. flex-time, limit face time)"
"Able to work from home when needed. Hours are crazy. 12 hour days are the norm. Depending on job your day may start at 5AM and go until 7"
Would you recommend Verizon Communications to other women?
"It is hard to network and move up in the company. Most times you are offered lateral positions."
Would you recommend Verizon Communications to other women?
"This company is trying to be more female friendly, but it has not extended to the field sales offices entirely. (I cannot speak to the culture at HQ) Getting more women into their B2B sales teams is a challenge that they have not appropriately addressed. Also, the sales offices can be ripe with male chauvinism and little progress has been made to change that. While steps are being made through their women's ERGs, it remains a very male driven environment. If you are able to establish a good brand with leadership, then you will succeed and get promoted. If you do not fit into their narrow definition of a successful woman, then you will struggle to get promotions. Progress is being made but it sometimes falls short and hits the wrong tone. As a result, the culture remains an old-school and male dominated environment. "
One thing Verizon Communications can improve?
"If you are liked then you have a bit more flexibility. I've also seen single mothers discriminated against by male managers as the male managers have support systems and don't understand when the single mother is the only person who can go pick up her sick kid/ drop the kid off at school."
Would you recommend Verizon Communications to other women?
"If you fit into upper management's perception of who a woman in business should be (conservative dress, can hang with the boys, don't cause too much of a stir when sexist things are said) then you are able to fight to get promoted. If you do not, it will be a struggle. If you are in sales, then your quality of life/ family-friendly environment depends entirely upon the sales leader in your office - culture differs office by office for sales. I cannot speak to the culture at the HQ."
"As with any company, there are pros and cons to working at this one. They offer a diverse portfolio of products and services, so you will always feel like you are learning as new technology emerges. Depending on the Manager, you may be able to negotiate a flexible schedule. Based on my observations, few women are hired into the business sales department and even less are promoted into leadership roles throughout the organization. "
Business Account Manager, Sales
Would you recommend Verizon Communications to other women?
"They are more flexible for the schedules of lower performers. I was always called in on off days so that they could meet sales quotas, especially when they were training someone new. Management only gets paid if the stores are selling."
One thing Verizon Communications can improve?
"Allow for pumping/breastfeeding breaks, which is likely not to happen because even for lunch breaks we didn’t get to take them but they had to be “documented.”"
Sales Representative, Customer Service
0 Paid | 5.5 Unpaid
"My 6 week mark would have landed on a Monday but they wanted me to hit quota so they could get paid and so they had me start the Friday prior."
Would you recommend Verizon Communications to other women?
"Women that do not plan to have a family. Also, someone that do don’t expect to move up as fast as a man."
"This was an amazing place to build my career, develop a tough skin, receive best-in-class training, and have top notch benefits. I was challenged every day here and learned more than I could have thought possible. The medical benefits were unbelievable, along with 401k match at 6%, and so many policies to support changes in your life like FMLA, disability, parental leave, etc. As a perk you also got the latest and greatest technology often. The mantra is, "Our best was good for today, tomorrow we will do better" and every day you are challenged to do more, achieve more, outperform your best. But from a job standpoint, in sales and sales leadership, it was an old, Caucasian boys club. I had to fight 3x as hard to receive the same promotion as a less qualified man who was often "one of the boys" of the hiring manager. I didn't give up, and eventually got promoted as a young woman in leadership and continued to fight my way up the ladder. It came with a barrage of harassment and innuendos about how I got there - from both men and women, people trying to intimidate me out of positions, while I was getting paid less and having to be twice as good as my male counterparts to receive the respect I had earned. Diversity was not important, and often I was the only female sales professional on my team or female leader in my management group, and also one of the only people under 30 or even under 40. The culture was like a locker room at times with the way women were discussed in the office and the chest thumping macho attitude. I often stood up against the chauvinistic culture, so people stopped saying inappropriate things if I was in earshot, but would continue conversations without me. Some women didn't have the courage to speak up, and they allowed it to happen around them and suffer in silence. During my time here, I became incredibly tough, resilient, and still produced top numbers all along the way and won awards. I personally survived and thrived and now feel like I can do anything professionally I put my mind to because nothing will be as difficult as the environment I came from. However, I watched so many talented women fail and suffer here, and become discouraged and give up. For that reason, it takes a very tough type of women to make it at Verizon, and if you are up for the challenge, that's great, and if you can make it there, you can honestly make it anywhere. But there are a lot of companies out there that will make your employee experience in sales or as a high level leader positive, supportive and inclusive, rather than grueling, attacking and disheartening."
Managing Partner, Sales
"Best roles for flexibility are remote sales positions, especially at high levels, in which you can work from home or on the road. Everything else is very militant - it is often said by managers, "If you are not at your desk, you are not working." You are expected to report to an office for most job functions every day, and it is frowned upon to come in late, leave early, work flexible hours, or take a longer than expected lunch break. That is a pretty archaic thinking for a company that sells technology and the idea that the modern worker is mobile and they should use Verizon's products to be that. "
Would you recommend Verizon Communications to other women?
"Dont be affriad to share your prespective with leaders across your channel. "
One thing Verizon Communications can improve?
"Not much; it's a great place to work"
Account Manager, Sales
"The flexibility depended on the leader you reported to. "
"The company offered parental leave of 2 weeks which can be taken within a year of your childs birth."
Would you recommend Verizon Communications to other women?
"The benefits are amazing and many groups"
"Improve work-life balance and policies (e.g. flex-time, limit face time)"
"It is completely up to your org's leadership. Some groups have no flexibility while others are very flexible. It's inconsistent from organization to organization within the company."
Would you recommend Verizon Communications to other women?
"Depends on what area they are interested in working"
"Great company for work-life balance for management employees. Good maternity leave, gradual return to work after maternity, flexible hours and work from home depends on your manager."
Would you recommend Verizon Communications to other women?
"Male saturated environment with little advancement for female employees. Work/life balance is non existent. "
Assistant General Manager, Retail
"This industry is saturated with male leaders. Very little women are hired"
Would you recommend Verizon Communications to other women?
"Shifts are based on customer satisfaction, which can manipulated depending on manager."
Tech Expert, Customer Service
Would you recommend Verizon Communications to other women?
"The benefits are great. Paid maternal leave, allow some flexibility "
Would you recommend Verizon Communications to other women?
"Can be stressful, but opportunities to succeed. Not as much work/life balance for frontline"
Would you recommend Verizon Communications to other women?
"It would be nice to see more women in leadership positions in the engineering departments and at the executive level. In terms of maternity leave, you get 6 paid weeks for a v-birth. 8 for a c-section. In 2016 'Parental Leave' was introduced which is an additional 2 weeks, available to a man or woman."
Sales Operations Manager, Operations
"Operations teams can be flexible, sales, marketing. Largely in part because many employees work remotely."
Would you recommend Verizon Communications to other women?
"It's ok, the maternity benefits aren't as good as other big companies"
One thing Verizon Communications can improve?
"Improve my benefits (e.g. medical, maternity)"
Would you recommend Verizon Communications to other women?
"VZW great place to earn a good salary. Opportunity to increase your potential and income."
Customer Service Coordinator, Customer Service
Would you recommend Verizon Communications to other women?
"Projects are usually male lead, males get higher salaries and getting promoted or any kind of pay raise is the most difficult at this company"
One thing Verizon Communications can improve?
"3 things: compensation, promote more women into leadership positions, and improve work-life balance even more"
"I had to take all of my vacation and personal days in order to spend more time with my son after I gave birth. Total of 12 paid weeks including maternity leave"
Would you recommend Verizon Communications to other women?
"The benefits are good (telecommuting, vacation, health insurance)"
"Flex-time, alternative schedules, and remote work should to be available company-wide. They aren't. Be upfront with the team you are going to in asking about their perspectives on these policies."
Would you recommend Verizon Communications to other women?
"Acceptable if you do not have family obligations or many interests outside of work."
"Depending on your department family time could be severely limited"
One thing Verizon Communications can improve?
"Promote those who are not just super women but also those with disabilities that they don't have to keep quiet"
Retail Sales Consultant, Retail
Would you recommend Verizon Communications to other women?
"Women are promoted but only if they perform far above their male counterparts. However men are far more likely to get fired."
"IT very male dominated. Women in IT tend to get pigeonholed in support positions at exec level."
One thing Verizon Communications can improve?
"My boss pressured me to return before my agreed upon leave."
Would you recommend Verizon Communications to other women?
"If work/life balance not a priority. "
"Generally speaking, corporate policies and overall atmosphere promotes diversity. The challenge is finding a team and specific management structure that will help you succeed."
Would you recommend Verizon Communications to other women?
"Definitely not easy work life balance for families. Women in leadership positions tend to have stay at home husbands since they can't be with their families themselves. "
One thing Verizon Communications can improve?
"Their benefits may be standard or higher, but it is viewed negatively for you to take advantage of your benefits. Time off etc. it is incredibly difficult to be able to manage work load and take time off so you end up never taking it off. "
Would you recommend Verizon Communications to other women?
"I found that I had opportunities to grow and create roles that were fulfilling, while still maintaining work-life balance to raise my son as a single mother."
One thing Verizon Communications can improve?
"Not much; it's a great place to work"
Product Manager,
"Ok to work at"
One thing Verizon Communications can improve?
"Improve work-life balance and policies (e.g. flex-time, limit facetime)"
Would you recommend Verizon Communications to other women?
"Verizon prides itself on diversity recruitment and empowers women throughout their careers with Verizon."
Would you recommend Verizon Communications to other women?
"Good benefits, pay can be fair, schedules can be flexible depending on management"
Would you recommend Verizon Communications to other women?
"They have nursing mother rooms all around the HQ complex."
N/A, Human Resources
Would you recommend Verizon Communications to other women?
"If you have to go to the bathroom, and you are going more that 2 minutes, they come looking for you"
Would you recommend Verizon Communications to other women?
"I was accepted by my peers after an informal hazing. My first day on the job, they took me to the bar at lunch time, just to make sure I wasn't a company spy. That became my routine for the next 10 years. Show up for work, go to the bar at lunch time, pray for an easy afternoon, go to the bar after work. Repeat. The company at that time offered training on their equipment up to as recently as 20 years ago. Now, it's a handout and you have to figure out how to install, operate and repair equipment on your own with no hands on classroom training. The reason service is poor is because of bureaucracy and poor training. No one on the wireline side of the company gives a damn anymore. They know that portion of the business will cease to exist, along with the union jobs that afforded workers a decent quality of life. It used to be a great company to work for, not so much today."
Would you recommend Verizon Communications to other women?
"I worked at this company for 23 years & as time went by, it basically only got worse. There was one period of time where we were actually advised to treat our customers well & to take our time with them & that was an actual pleasant experience. The rest of the years were much more strictly enforced by unreasonable rules, until it was to the point of where the company wanted us to work so fast that we worked with automation & were encouraged not to speak with customers."
operator, N/A
Would you recommend Verizon Communications to other women?
"Do your job and do it well. It won't matter if you are a man or a woman in this company. They like employee's who help solve problems, increase efficiency, save money and boost productivity. If you are a slacker & your head/heart is not in it (again, be it man or woman) you will get riffed. Bottom line, you reap what you sow."
Implementation Coordinator, Public Sector
Would you recommend Verizon Communications to other women?
"invest in the 401k it an investment that pays. think abo ut the future not just right now. I started at age 17 thinkinking of my future and it has paid off."
czt1, service
Would you recommend Verizon Communications to other women?
"The job is not who you are it's what you do. Don't come to work for the bonuses and prizes. Come to work for your salary and your benefits!"
Customer Services & Sales Representative, CSSC
Would you recommend Verizon Communications to other women?
"It is a very stressful and demanding job. The job is not for everyone."
"I've always worked hard and I feel like my work is respected. Just do your best and be a team player."
Would you recommend Verizon Communications to other women?
"They need better Infertility Benefits - do not cover IVF"
"it was a good company to work for here before it closed. The people that ran my office worked with me when my husband became ill and helped me in that hard time."