Employee reviews at Verizon
default img
Tell us more for better jobs, advice
and connections
your interests
Your feed isn’t personalized yet. Follow topics like career advice, lifestyle or health.
companies you follow
companiesBoxImage
Get alerted when there are new employee reviews.
YOUR JOB ALERTS
Get notified when new jobs are posted.
"company policy is good. but it always depend upon the manager you are working with."
Hours, Policies, Culture
Is paid parental leave offered, and if so, how much?
1 Weeks Paid | 0 Weeks Unpaid
Would you recommend Verizon to other women?
How supportive is your manager?
Which benefits are offered?
Parental leave, Health care

Want to

"This company does do tuition reimbursement. Use it to continue to better yourself and, your abilities. Never grow stale."
Sales
8 Weeks Paid | 0 Weeks Unpaid
"Nope"

Want to

"If you have a health condition, don't shy away. Let HR know so if you are an hourly employee, your metrics aren't affected when time off/ break adjustments are needed. "
One thing Verizon can improve?
"Corporate company with time clocks unless salaried position."

Want to

"Verizon Wireless has competitive pay and great benefits. Promotes a workplace of equality. The job itself is demanding and can be stressful. Not for the faint of heart but if you can take a challenge it's a great place to work for a woman."
Technical Support Lead, Customer Service

Want to

"Be selective of who you work for. Some bosses are better than others. "
Operations
"They claim to be mother-friendly, but the reality is, that it's all dependent upon who you report into and which group you are in."
8 Weeks Paid | 12 Weeks Unpaid
"they have recently updated their policy, more mom-friendly than in the past. However, again, your job may be in jeopardy depending on your boss."

Want to

"Great pay, great benefits, a lot of room to learn and grow. If you want to succeed and get to an executive level you're required to move around different locations as you start to get groomed for a larger role."
16 Weeks Paid | 4 Weeks Unpaid

Want to

"Great company with excellent benefits for working moms and dads. "
8 Weeks Paid | 4 Weeks Unpaid

Want to

"morale is low; on the surface, gender diversity is supported but there are a lot of politics at play behind the scenes. I would recommend working to the best of your capability, networking to the highest level possible, keeping your eyes & ears open for advancement opportunities, and going for them as soon as they present themselves. "
"Improve work-life balance and policies (e.g. flex-time, limit face time)"
"due to the nature of the work (network operations center) there is little room for flexibility"

Want to

"Ensure that you are mentally healthy and strong enough to constantly be coached to certain behaviors and be willing and able to handle a constant high stress environment. Make sure you have a healthy outlet for your stress."
"Other"
"Once you're promoted to supervisor or higher, your options for flexibility are a bit more limited as well as the fact that you're normally "coached" or given a speech about your need to be at work all the time to set an example for front line employees. So even if you're granted flexibility for a situation, it's still looked at negatively which is another source of stress "
Policies, Hours
6 Weeks Paid | 0 Weeks Unpaid
"You are given 6-8 weeks paid maternity leave in addition to another 8 weeks of paid "parental leave" which used to be referred to as baby bonding time. This is definitely one of the best benefits of the job. "

Want to

"Like most large enterprises your experience here will vary based on the group you work with. "
2 Weeks Paid | 0 Weeks Unpaid
"After I had maternity leave it was increased from 2 week and to 8 weeks "

Want to

"Verizon is a great place to work. There are some places they could improve, especially for women with children who have special needs. They are really trying to get women into more leadership positions. "
"Improve work-life balance and policies (e.g. flex-time, limit face time)"
"This employer offers lots of pto, and flex time to adjust schedules as needed. Flex is only available once per week, and only 3 weeks of any given month. They are unwilling to adjust schedules for recurring Dr. Appts. "

Want to

"Keep your boundaries about what hours you will work. If you want get ahead schmooze a lot and speak up at meetings."
Member Technical Staff, IT
"Able to work from home when needed. Hours are crazy. 12 hour days are the norm. Depending on job your day may start at 5AM and go until 7"

Want to

"It is hard to network and move up in the company. Most times you are offered lateral positions."
Project Manager, Product

Want to

"This company is trying to be more female friendly, but it has not extended to the field sales offices entirely. (I cannot speak to the culture at HQ) Getting more women into their B2B sales teams is a challenge that they have not appropriately addressed. Also, the sales offices can be ripe with male chauvinism and little progress has been made to change that. While steps are being made through their women's ERGs, it remains a very male driven environment. If you are able to establish a good brand with leadership, then you will succeed and get promoted. If you do not fit into their narrow definition of a successful woman, then you will struggle to get promotions. Progress is being made but it sometimes falls short and hits the wrong tone. As a result, the culture remains an old-school and male dominated environment. "
Enterprise Sales, Sales
"If you are liked then you have a bit more flexibility. I've also seen single mothers discriminated against by male managers as the male managers have support systems and don't understand when the single mother is the only person who can go pick up her sick kid/ drop the kid off at school."

Want to

"As with any company, there are pros and cons to working at this one. They offer a diverse portfolio of products and services, so you will always feel like you are learning as new technology emerges. Depending on the Manager, you may be able to negotiate a flexible schedule. Based on my observations, few women are hired into the business sales department and even less are promoted into leadership roles throughout the organization. "

Want to

"They are more flexible for the schedules of lower performers. I was always called in on off days so that they could meet sales quotas, especially when they were training someone new. Management only gets paid if the stores are selling."
0 Weeks Paid | 5.5 Weeks Unpaid
"My 6 week mark would have landed on a Monday but they wanted me to hit quota so they could get paid and so they had me start the Friday prior."

Want to

"This was an amazing place to build my career, develop a tough skin, receive best-in-class training, and have top notch benefits. I was challenged every day here and learned more than I could have thought possible. The medical benefits were unbelievable, along with 401k match at 6%, and so many policies to support changes in your life like FMLA, disability, parental leave, etc. As a perk you also got the latest and greatest technology often. The mantra is, "Our best was good for today, tomorrow we will do better" and every day you are challenged to do more, achieve more, outperform your best. But from a job standpoint, in sales and sales leadership, it was an old, Caucasian boys club. I had to fight 3x as hard to receive the same promotion as a less qualified man who was often "one of the boys" of the hiring manager. I didn't give up, and eventually got promoted as a young woman in leadership and continued to fight my way up the ladder. It came with a barrage of harassment and innuendos about how I got there - from both men and women, people trying to intimidate me out of positions, while I was getting paid less and having to be twice as good as my male counterparts to receive the respect I had earned. Diversity was not important, and often I was the only female sales professional on my team or female leader in my management group, and also one of the only people under 30 or even under 40. The culture was like a locker room at times with the way women were discussed in the office and the chest thumping macho attitude. I often stood up against the chauvinistic culture, so people stopped saying inappropriate things if I was in earshot, but would continue conversations without me. Some women didn't have the courage to speak up, and they allowed it to happen around them and suffer in silence. During my time here, I became incredibly tough, resilient, and still produced top numbers all along the way and won awards. I personally survived and thrived and now feel like I can do anything professionally I put my mind to because nothing will be as difficult as the environment I came from. However, I watched so many talented women fail and suffer here, and become discouraged and give up. For that reason, it takes a very tough type of women to make it at Verizon, and if you are up for the challenge, that's great, and if you can make it there, you can honestly make it anywhere. But there are a lot of companies out there that will make your employee experience in sales or as a high level leader positive, supportive and inclusive, rather than grueling, attacking and disheartening."
One thing Verizon can improve?
"Best roles for flexibility are remote sales positions, especially at high levels, in which you can work from home or on the road. Everything else is very militant - it is often said by managers, "If you are not at your desk, you are not working." You are expected to report to an office for most job functions every day, and it is frowned upon to come in late, leave early, work flexible hours, or take a longer than expected lunch break. That is a pretty archaic thinking for a company that sells technology and the idea that the modern worker is mobile and they should use Verizon's products to be that. "

Want to

"Dont be affriad to share your prespective with leaders across your channel. "
"Not much; it's a great place to work"
"The flexibility depended on the leader you reported to. "
14 Weeks Paid | 0 Weeks Unpaid
"The company offered parental leave of 2 weeks which can be taken within a year of your childs birth."

Want to

"The benefits are amazing and many groups"
"Improve work-life balance and policies (e.g. flex-time, limit face time)"
"It is completely up to your org's leadership. Some groups have no flexibility while others are very flexible. It's inconsistent from organization to organization within the company."

Want to

"Great company for work-life balance for management employees. Good maternity leave, gradual return to work after maternity, flexible hours and work from home depends on your manager."
IT

Want to

"Male saturated environment with little advancement for female employees. Work/life balance is non existent. "
One thing Verizon can improve?
"This industry is saturated with male leaders. Very little women are hired"

Want to

"Shifts are based on customer satisfaction, which can manipulated depending on manager."

Want to

"The benefits are great. Paid maternal leave, allow some flexibility "
Administrative

Want to

"Can be stressful, but opportunities to succeed. Not as much work/life balance for frontline"
Customer Service Supervisor, Customer Service
18 Weeks Paid | 0 Weeks Unpaid

"Ok to work at"
8 Weeks Paid | 4 Weeks Unpaid

Want to

"Definitely not easy work life balance for families. Women in leadership positions tend to have stay at home husbands since they can't be with their families themselves. "
Indirect Sales Account Manager, Indirect Sales

Want to

"Flex-time, alternative schedules, and remote work should to be available company-wide. They aren't. Be upfront with the team you are going to in asking about their perspectives on these policies."
"N/A"
6 Weeks Paid | 6 Weeks Unpaid

Want to

"VZW great place to earn a good salary. Opportunity to increase your potential and income."

Want to

"Do your job and do it well. It won't matter if you are a man or a woman in this company. They like employee's who help solve problems, increase efficiency, save money and boost productivity. If you are a slacker & your head/heart is not in it (again, be it man or woman) you will get riffed. Bottom line, you reap what you sow."
18 Weeks Paid | 0 Weeks Unpaid

Want to

"It would be nice to see more women in leadership positions in the engineering departments and at the executive level. In terms of maternity leave, you get 6 paid weeks for a v-birth. 8 for a c-section. In 2016 'Parental Leave' was introduced which is an additional 2 weeks, available to a man or woman."
One thing Verizon can improve?
"Operations teams can be flexible, sales, marketing. Largely in part because many employees work remotely."
8 Weeks Paid | 0 Weeks Unpaid

Want to

"It's ok, the maternity benefits aren't as good as other big companies"
One thing Verizon can improve?
"Improve my benefits (e.g. medical, maternity)"
Engineering

Want to

"Projects are usually male lead, males get higher salaries and getting promoted or any kind of pay raise is the most difficult at this company"
"N/A"
Compliance
Culture, Hours
"I had to take all of my vacation and personal days in order to spend more time with my son after I gave birth. Total of 12 paid weeks including maternity leave"

Want to

"Depending on your department family time could be severely limited"
Policies, Hours

Want to

"IT very male dominated. Women in IT tend to get pigeonholed in support positions at exec level."
Director
6 Weeks Paid | 6 Weeks Unpaid
"My boss pressured me to return before my agreed upon leave."

Want to

"Generally speaking, corporate policies and overall atmosphere promotes diversity. The challenge is finding a team and specific management structure that will help you succeed."
Legal

Want to

"I found that I had opportunities to grow and create roles that were fulfilling, while still maintaining work-life balance to raise my son as a single mother."

Want to

"Verizon prides itself on diversity recruitment and empowers women throughout their careers with Verizon."
Senior Recruiter, Talent Acquisition

Want to

"Good benefits, pay can be fair, schedules can be flexible depending on management"
Sr. Analyst, Merchandising

Want to

"They have nursing mother rooms all around the HQ complex."

Want to

"If you have to go to the bathroom, and you are going more that 2 minutes, they come looking for you"
Customer Serivce, Call Center

Want to

"I was accepted by my peers after an informal hazing. My first day on the job, they took me to the bar at lunch time, just to make sure I wasn't a company spy. That became my routine for the next 10 years. Show up for work, go to the bar at lunch time, pray for an easy afternoon, go to the bar after work. Repeat. The company at that time offered training on their equipment up to as recently as 20 years ago. Now, it's a handout and you have to figure out how to install, operate and repair equipment on your own with no hands on classroom training. The reason service is poor is because of bureaucracy and poor training. No one on the wireline side of the company gives a damn anymore. They know that portion of the business will cease to exist, along with the union jobs that afforded workers a decent quality of life. It used to be a great company to work for, not so much today."
IT Technician

Want to

"The job is not who you are it's what you do. Don't come to work for the bonuses and prizes. Come to work for your salary and your benefits!"

Want to

"invest in the 401k it an investment that pays. think abo ut the future not just right now. I started at age 17 thinkinking of my future and it has paid off."
12 Weeks Paid | 0 Weeks Unpaid

Want to

"I worked at this company for 23 years & as time went by, it basically only got worse. There was one period of time where we were actually advised to treat our customers well & to take our time with them & that was an actual pleasant experience. The rest of the years were much more strictly enforced by unreasonable rules, until it was to the point of where the company wanted us to work so fast that we worked with automation & were encouraged not to speak with customers."
6 Weeks Paid | 4 Weeks Unpaid

Want to

"I've always worked hard and I feel like my work is respected. Just do your best and be a team player."
MTS III Cslt-Sys Engrg