Verizon Communications

www.verizon.com/

Sally Mae

Business Account Manager

Sales

As with any company, there are pros and cons to working at this one. They offer a diverse portfolio of products and services, so you will always feel like you are learning as new technology emerges. Depending on the Manager, you may be able to negotiate a flexible schedule. Based on my observations, few women are hired into the business sales department and even less are promoted into leadership roles throughout the organization.

Hardworkingmommy

Sales Representative

Customer Service

They are more flexible for the schedules of lower performers. I was always called in on off days so that they could meet sales quotas, especially when they were training someone new. Management only gets paid if the stores are selling.

Not for Promotion, Hiring, Evaluation and Reviews

My 6 week mark would have landed on a Monday but they wanted me to hit quota so they could get paid and so they had me start the Friday prior.

Allow for pumping/breastfeeding breaks, which is likely not to happen because even for lunch breaks we didn’t get to take them but they had to be “documented.”

Maybe. Women that do not plan to have a family. Also, someone that do don’t expect to move up as fast as a man.

LadyRockstar

Managing Partner

Sales

This was an amazing place to build my career, develop a tough skin, receive best-in-class training, and have top notch benefits. I was challenged every day here and learned more than I could have thought possible. The medical benefits were unbelievable, along with 401k match at 6%, and so many policies to support changes in your life like FMLA, disability, parental leave, etc. As a perk you also got the latest and greatest technology often. The mantra is, "Our best was good for today, tomorrow we will do better" and every day you are challenged to do more, achieve more, outperform your best. But from a job standpoint, in sales and sales leadership, it was an old, Caucasian boys club. I had to fight 3x as hard to receive the same promotion as a less qualified man who was often "one of the boys" of the hiring manager. I didn't give up, and eventually got promoted as a young woman in leadership and continued to fight my way up the ladder. It came with a barrage of harassment and innuendos about how I got there - from both men and women, people trying to intimidate me out of positions, while I was getting paid less and having to be twice as good as my male counterparts to receive the respect I had earned. Diversity was not important, and often I was the only female sales professional on my team or female leader in my management group, and also one of the only people under 30 or even under 40. The culture was like a locker room at times with the way women were discussed in the office and the chest thumping macho attitude. I often stood up against the chauvinistic culture, so people stopped saying inappropriate things if I was in earshot, but would continue conversations without me. Some women didn't have the courage to speak up, and they allowed it to happen around them and suffer in silence. During my time here, I became incredibly tough, resilient, and still produced top numbers all along the way and won awards. I personally survived and thrived and now feel like I can do anything professionally I put my mind to because nothing will be as difficult as the environment I came from. However, I watched so many talented women fail and suffer here, and become discouraged and give up. For that reason, it takes a very tough type of women to make it at Verizon, and if you are up for the challenge, that's great, and if you can make it there, you can honestly make it anywhere. But there are a lot of companies out there that will make your employee experience in sales or as a high level leader positive, supportive and inclusive, rather than grueling, attacking and disheartening.

Best roles for flexibility are remote sales positions, especially at high levels, in which you can work from home or on the road. Everything else is very militant - it is often said by managers, "If you are not at your desk, you are not working." You are expected to report to an office for most job functions every day, and it is frowned upon to come in late, leave early, work flexible hours, or take a longer than expected lunch break. That is a pretty archaic thinking for a company that sells technology and the idea that the modern worker is mobile and they should use Verizon's products to be that.

Account Manager

Sales

Dont be affriad to share your prespective with leaders across your channel.

The flexibility depended on the leader you reported to.

The company offered parental leave of 2 weeks which can be taken within a year of your childs birth.

• Family Friendly Aspects?

The benefits are amazing and many groups

It is completely up to your org's leadership. Some groups have no flexibility while others are very flexible. It's inconsistent from organization to organization within the company.

• Family Friendly Aspects?

Maybe. Depends on what area they are interested in working

Great company for work-life balance for management employees. Good maternity leave, gradual return to work after maternity, flexible hours and work from home depends on your manager.

Women of wireless

Assistant General Manager

Retail

Male saturated environment with little advancement for female employees. Work/life balance is non existent.

This industry is saturated with male leaders. Very little women are hired

Vzwtechworker

Tech Expert

Customer Service

Shifts are based on customer satisfaction, which can manipulated depending on manager.

ShorT

The benefits are great. Paid maternal leave, allow some flexibility

• Family Friendly Aspects?

Can be stressful, but opportunities to succeed. Not as much work/life balance for frontline