- Headquarters Location New York, New York (United States)
- Number of Employees 1,001-5,000
- Website www.dowjones.com
Dow Jones is an ambitious provider of global news and business information, delivering intelligence consumers and organizations can't get anywhere else.
We inform our customers through various platforms including print, digital, mobile and live events. Dow Jones has produced unrivaled quality content for more than 125 years and today has one of the world's largest news gathering operations globally. We produce leading publications and products including the flagship Wall Street Journal, America's largest newspaper by paid circulation; Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch, Financial News, DJX, Dow Jones Risk & Compliance, Dow Jones Newswires, and Dow Jones VentureSource.
Highlights from Dow Jones
Meet a Fairygodboss at Dow Jones
CFO NYCAnna Sedgley is Chief Financial Officer of Dow Jones, a position she has held since December 2012.
In this role, Ms. Sedgley is responsible for the preparing and reporting of the company's financial performance, managing treasury and taxation matters and providing strategic guidance, forecasts and analytical insight to support business performance. In addition to her role as CFO, Ms. Sedgley heads up the Dow Jones Operations Group and oversees newspaper production and delivery, legal and risk management services as well as facilities and security.
Ms. Sedgley joined Dow Jones in October 2009 as Vice President, Finance, after 10 years at BskyB, now known as Sky, which is part of 21st Century Fox. At Sky she provided financial support for a number of business functions including marketing, circulation, supply chain and technology. Ms. Sedgley began her career as a trainee chartered accountant at PricewaterhouseCoopers in London. After qualification, she spent two years working in finance at Debenhams PLC, a leading U.K. department store.
She is a graduate of the University of Adelaide, Australia.
What Women Should Know about Working At Dow Jones
We offer a range of different affinity groups and experiences that foster a strong commitment to collaboration and community. From Women @ DJ, high potential women leadership development programs, mentoring, Wellness Week to rotation and job sharing experiences, we create an innovative and inclusive culture.
Concurrently, Dow Jones is a family-oriented organization that supports both women and men achieving work-life balance by offering a wide range of flexible benefits designed to best meet the familial needs of individual employees.
Programs, initiatives, groups
WOMEN@DJ is an internal network which aims to elevate relationships and commonalities within our walls and beyond, via skills workshops, panel discussions, volunteering activities and more.
We also offer a News Corp Leadership Development Program for high potential women inclusive of executive coaching, industry author events, accelerated leadership development and networking programs.
- Internal mentorship / sponsorship programs Yes
- Internal employee networking Yes
- Succession planning initiatives Yes
- Diversity initiatives / processes for recruiting Yes
- Sabbatical leave benefits Yes
- Executive coaching Yes
- Flexible working policies Dow Jones does have a formal "Work Anywhere" policy. While not all positions are eligible to work remotely 100% of the time, we encourage all managers and employees to facilitate a flexible environment which promotes a strong work/life balance.
- Remote working No
- Part-time working Yes
- Percentage of your workforce that takes advantage of flexible working 80%
- Overview: Parental leave policies We offer 12 weeks 100% paid benefit for new parents who are the primary childcare provider. We also offer 3 weeks at 100% for new parents who are the secondary childcare provider.
- Paid maternity leave Yes, 12 weeks
- Unpaid maternity leave Yes, up to 9 months
- Paid paternity leave Yes, up to 12 weeks for primary and 3 weeks for secondary care giver
- Unpaid paternity leave Yes, up to 9 months
- Adoptive paid leave Yes, same as other leaves
- Short-term disability benefits Yes
- Additional short-term disability info Based on your type of delivery, you will be paid either 6 or 8 weeks of disability from the date you deliver.
Other benefits information
Women are able to transfer to PT following maternity for an unspecified period of time upon their return if approved by their manager. We do have wellness rooms that provide a place for nursing mothers to pump while at work.
As needed, high potential employees can off-ramp for family needs. We offer exec coaching, mentoring, women leadership development programs for high potentials, internship, rotation, and job sharing programs. We offer a Special Needs program geared towards families dealing with developmental and educational hurdles. Resources such as our employee assistance program and Health Advocate are available to employees.
In addition, we offer the following benefits:
- Adoption assistance up to $5000 per adoption
- Scholarships for children attending college
- Telamedicine Voluntary benefits Service awards as employees reach 10 year milestones
- Deals & Discounts for every day shopping
- Annual $500 reimbursement for physical fitness activities
- Lactation facilities Yes
- Phased-in post-maternity return Yes
Care-taking benefits information
We have paid parental leave for primary and secondary care givers. Primary caregiver leave is 12 weeks at full base salary. Secondary caregiver leave is up to 3 weeks at full base salary. We also have unpaid childcare leave that can run concurrent with the paid parental leave and last for up to 9 months.
We provide an on-site childcare center in Princeton, NJ (ages 6 weeks to 6 years) and includes onsite kindergarten and summer camp for school aged children up to age 12. We have back up child care through Bright Horizons up to 20 days a year. Our back up childcare through Bright Horizons also offers an additional 20 days a year for new parents in the first 12 months of life. We offer a back up childcare reimbursement of $600 each year, separate from the back up childcare through Bright Horizons. Bright Horizons also offers elder care services. We also offer a personal leave (used for various reasons) that caps out at 9 weeks off.
Our FMLA policy does not require employees to use up their paid time off first. Employees can elect to take unpaid FMLA and still retain paid time off. We also have sick time, which is honor based, and can be used to care for sick family members.
We also have a rich and robust disability program, which provides up to 26 weeks of short term disability benefits (paid at 100% or 60% dependent upon tenure) and LTD available at 60% of salary, if exhausting STD, up to age 65.
- Back-up childcare Yes
- On-site childcare Yes
- Childcare subsidies Yes
- PTO that explicitly covers care-taking Yes
- Elder-care benefits Yes