Pregnancy is a beautiful time in a woman’s life, but it can also be one of the most stressful despite how much she may love it. No matter how excited you are about welcoming your new baby and growing your family, pregnancy can feel like a waiting game — a long one filled with nausea, vomiting, exhaustion, back pain, migraines and more.
However, despite all the pains of pregnancy and birth, there is something remarkable about the changes a woman undergoes as she becomes a mother.
The sacrifices begin the instant those two pink lines show up, and many times even sooner. As a woman’s growing body changes so too does her heart and mind. She ceases to exist as just herself, expanding in unexpected ways to accommodate the new life within.
Yes, there will be joy, and yes, there will be tears — for all kinds of reasons.
Though many have tried, few have been able to adequately describe the beauty and the mysteries of pregnancy. Here are some of our favorite quotes that capture this incredible time in a mother’s life.
1. “The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.” ― Rajneesh
2. “A baby is something you carry inside you for nine months, in your arms for three years, and in your heart until the day you die.” ― Mary Mason
3. “Making the decision to have a child - it is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.” ― Elizabeth Stone
4. “A baby fills a place in your heart that you never knew was empty.” ― Author Unknown
6. “It’s a really magical time, those first few weeks. It almost makes you wish you didn’t have to tell anyone, ever. You could just watch your belly grow bigger, and no one would be allowed to ask you about it, and you would have your baby and a year later you would allow visitors to finally come and meet your little miracle.” ― Amy Poehler
7. “There is something very beautiful about being pregnant. I think I enjoy being pregnant more than not being pregnant. I know it could go either way, and the next pregnancy could be the complete opposite.” ― Chrissy Teigen
8. “Everything grows rounder and wider and weirder, and I sit here in the middle of it all and wonder who in the world you will turn out to be.” ― Carrie Fisher
9. “Babies are always more trouble than you thought ― and more wonderful.” ― Charles Osgood
11. “Whether your pregnancy was meticulously planned, medically coaxed, or happened by surprise, one thing is certain – your life will never be the same.” ― Catherine Jones
12. “It’s an established fact. Some women can’t stand being pregnant, getting big and bloated, and hauling around a giant stomach, and some women, for reasons probably understood by Darwin, love it.” ― Rich Cohen
13. “Giving birth and being born brings us into the essence of creation, where the human spirit is courageous and bold and the body, a miracle of wisdom.” — Harriette Hartigan
14. “The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.” — Osho
16. "What good mothers and fathers instinctively feel like doing for their babies is usually best after all.” — Benjamin Spock
17. “Pregnancy is getting company inside one’s skin.” — Maggie Scarf
18. “To be pregnant is to be vitally alive, thoroughly woman, and distressingly inhabited. Soul and spirit are stretched – along with body – making pregnancy a time of transition, growth, and profound beginnings.” — Anne Christian Buchanan
19. “Before you were conceived I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were here an hour I would die for you. This is the miracle of Mother’s Love.” — Maureen Hawkins
21. "Birthing is the most profound initiation to spirituality a woman can have.” — Robin Lim
22. “Babies are bits of star-dust blown from the hand of God. Lucky is the woman who knows the pangs of birth for she has held a star.” — Larry Barretto
23. “You are pregnant and you are powerful. You are bold and you are beautiful. Go forward in your boldness, in your beauty and in your contentedness. Trust your body to birth and know that the collective power of women worldwide will be with you.” — Author Unknown
24. "Sometimes when you pick up your child you can feel the map of your own bones beneath your hands, or smell the scent of your skin in the nape of his neck. This is the most extraordinary thing about motherhood – finding a piece of yourself separate and apart that all the same you could not live without.” — Jodi Picoult
26. “I’m never as happy as when I’m pregnant. I literally would have 10 babies if I could!” — Tori Spelling
27. "Whether your pregnancy was meticulously planned, medically coaxed, or happened by surprise, one thing is certain – your life will never be the same.” — Catherine Jones
Yes, pregnancy is indeed magical, miraculous and maddening, which, when you think about it, is the perfect preparation for that other big “m” word: motherhood. Pregnant women: What pregnancy quotes helped you get throught each moment in those nine months and child birth? Do you have inspirational quotes about the love of pregnancy, or any other inspirational pregnancy quotes that sum up life for pregnant women? Shre your inspirational quotes with us to help the next mommy to-be!
Candace is a practicing attorney, working parents advocate, freelance writer, and proud mom. Her legal practice focuses on workers’ rights. She can be found writing about law, motherhood, and more on her blog as The Mom at Law.