Does kindness matter?
It really does to me. Kindness towards others, as well as to ourselves, is important on so many levels.
Being kind and compassionate makes us happier. It releases the feel-good chemicals in our brain. Plus, there’s good ROI on kindness: the tiniest investment in kindness returns insurmountable goodness to your life. When you do a good dead or demonstrate your kindness and compassion, you feel good, the other person feels good.
It’s also contagious. Merely observing a random act of kindness breeds more happiness and acts of kindness from others.
The world needs more kindness. You need more kindness.
There are many ways to manifest kindness and compassion in your life and in the lives of others. Here are a few of my favorite quotes and thoughts on kindness.
35 Quotes on Kindness
1. “My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.” –Dalai Lama
2. Following on the theme of religion, Mahatma Gandhi sums it up in this inspiring quote: “The simple acts of kindness are by far more powerful than a thousand heads bowing in prayer.”
4. "Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you." -Princess Diana
5. As Amelia Earhart said, "A single act of kindness throws out roots in all directions, and the roots spring up and make new trees." Kindness can change the world.
6. Plato said, “Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle.”
7. Plato also said, “Kindness is more than deeds. It is an attitude, an expression, a look, a touch. It is anything that lifts another person.”
8. “No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.” -Aesop
9. So, wherever you go, do as Ellen DeGeneres asks: “Be kind to one another.”
11. “Remember there’s no such thing as a small act of kindness. Every act creates a ripple with no logical end.” – Scott Adams
12. “Do things for people not because of who they are or what they do in return, but because of who you are.” – Harold S. Kushner
13. “Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for a kindness.” – Lucius Annaeus Seneca
14. “We can’t help everyone, but everyone can help someone.” – Ronald Reagan
15. “Because that’s what kindness is. It’s not doing something for someone else because they can’t, but because you can.” – Andrew Iskander
16. “Kindness begins with the understanding that we all struggle.” – Charles Glassman
17. “The fragrance always stays in the hand that gives the rose." — Hada Bejar
19. “Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver.” – Barbara De Angelis
20. “Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough.” – Franklin D. Roosevelt
21. “Gratitude is the inward feeling of kindness received. Thankfulness is the natural impulse to express that feeling. Thanksgiving is the following of that impulse.” – Henry Van Dyke
22. “Kindness is a passport that opens doors and fashions friends. It softens hearts and molds relationships that can last lifetimes.” – Joseph B. Wirthlin
23. “Unexpected kindness is the most powerful, least costly, and most underrated agent of human change.” – Bob Kerrey
24. “What wisdom can you find that is greater than kindness?” – Jean-Jacques Rousseau
25. “Constant kindness can accomplish much. As the sun makes ice melt, kindness causes misunderstanding, mistrust, and hostility to evaporate.” – Albert Schweitzer
26. “A little thought and a little kindness are often worth more than a great deal of money.” – John Ruskin
27. "You can accomplish by kindness what you cannot by force.” – Pubilius Syrus
28. “Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom.” – Theodore Isaac Rubin
29. “The words of kindness are more healing to a drooping heart than balm or honey.” – Sarah Fielding
31. “Kindness can become its own motive. We are made kind by being kind.” – Eric Hoffer
32. “Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind.” – Henry James
33. “Kindness is the sunshine in which virtue grows.” – Robert Green Ingersoll
34. “Kindness is always fashionable, and always welcome.” – Amelia Barr
35. “Kindness and politeness are not overrated at all. They’re underused.” – Tommy Lee Jones
Lisa Durante is a working mama who believes in the power of AND. She offers strategies and insights, as well as resources and programs to help you design a career and life that works for you as a working mom. Get new tips and free resources every week at LisaDurante.com.