"love it! really great experience nothing bad to say at all! "
One thing 3M can improve?
"Not much; it's a great place to work"
Manager, Administrative
Would you recommend 3M to other women?
"Working at 3M is ok. I feel they do the minimum for women that the market and competitors expect. I don't feel they try to be cutting edge in regards to accommodating women. "
One thing 3M can improve?
"Improve work-life balance and policies (e.g. flex-time, limit face time)"
Would you recommend 3M to other women?
"It depends...which group, your manager, what is important to you, etc."
Would you recommend 3M to other women?
"Overall, it is a good company with great benefits and lots of opportunities for interesting assignments. They company is trying to develop women but not at an individual level. They tend to be more like coffee hours and less around real development. Some of the actions are tone deaf such as offering golf lessons to women so they can participate in golf outings with the men. How about talking to the men about not having golf outings and how it isn't inclusive? There has been an increase in women at director levels and above but the deck is still stacked toward younger white men. They will say the % has improved and I think it has but it is still overwhelming to see the lack of gender diversity. The women that are promoted are more token examples it seems. They rotate them around but infrequently does a new woman enter the ranks and they tend to be in staff roles. It is still 10:1 men:women. If a woman is fine topping out at mid management and having a long career there, they will do well and have a good work/life balance. "
One thing 3M can improve?
"3M has put in place a flexibility program but it is still unclear and not managed uniformly. There is still an unspoken requirement to be physically present regardless of effectiveness. "
Would you recommend 3M to other women?
"3M is a good company for employees and women in the entry level to mid-management range. If a woman aspires to reach higher than mid-management they should know the opportunities will be very limited if not impossible. "
"There is a lot of opportunity at 3M and lots of good people. Unfortunately as I have advanced in my career I have increasingly been concerned with the quality of leadership - so much so it has forced me to really re-think my career aspirations and realize why women leave the workforce. Stay here and work with a bunch of assholes or take a less stressful job that allows for time with my kids? "
One thing 3M can improve?
"Take action when there is a pattern of discrimination."
, Marketing
"Level of flexibility depends who you work for - some are ok with flex schedules, others want you available 24x7 and expect you to work on vacation."
"Recently improved this to 12 weeks - long over due - but glad they finally made the change. It took so long because they were concerned if existing employees would be upset - this is telling of the culture.....slow to change, not progressive."
Would you recommend 3M to other women?
"Yes - if you either do not aspire to be a Director or VP, or if you do aspire to those roles are not deterred by covert sexism or a well established boys club."
"3m is what you make it. The culture rewards people who carve their own path, so don't expect anyone else to manage your career for you. As a full-time working mother, I think their maternity leave policies (6 weeks, nothing official for dads) are far below average. Flex time is also not standard policy, and must be negotiated individually with your manager (and is often not approved). Most executives are male with stay at home wives, and just don't get the realities of two working parents. For a company that insists on hiring only those with Master's degrees and PhD's in many disciplines (meaning older recruits in prime child bearing years), their policies toward families are woefully antiquated. "
One thing 3M can improve?
"Improve work-life balance and policies (e.g. flex-time, limit face time)"
Marketing Manager, Marketing
"No paternity leave here. When you go on unpaid maternity leave, you do not accrue for years of service. So after two kids, my official start date with the company is 4 months later than when I actually began working here."
1 - 5 of 17