Sign Up and Win $500! One new Fairygodboss per month is randomly selected. T&C's apply.

WomanInAMansWorld

Marketing

There is a lot of opportunity at 3M and lots of good people. Unfortunately as I have advanced in my career I have increasingly been concerned with the quality of leadership - so much so it has forced me to really re-think my career aspirations and realize why women leave the workforce. Stay here and work with a bunch of assholes or take a less stressful job that allows for time with my kids?

• Recent Bonus (USD)

Recently improved this to 12 weeks - long over due - but glad they finally made the change. It took so long because they were concerned if existing employees would be upset - this is telling of the culture.....slow to change, not progressive.

• Flexibility of the employer

Level of flexibility depends who you work for - some are ok with flex schedules, others want you available 24x7 and expect you to work on vacation.

Yes - if you either do not aspire to be a Director or VP, or if you do aspire to those roles are not deterred by covert sexism or a well established boys club.

Take action when there is a pattern of discrimination.

ShowMeTheEquality

Marketing Manager

Marketing

3m is what you make it. The culture rewards people who carve their own path, so don't expect anyone else to manage your career for you. As a full-time working mother, I think their maternity leave policies (6 weeks, nothing official for dads) are far below average. Flex time is also not standard policy, and must be negotiated individually with your manager (and is often not approved). Most executives are male with stay at home wives, and just don't get the realities of two working parents. For a company that insists on hiring only those with Master's degrees and PhD's in many disciplines (meaning older recruits in prime child bearing years), their policies toward families are woefully antiquated.

• Recent Bonus (USD)

No paternity leave here. When you go on unpaid maternity leave, you do not accrue for years of service. So after two kids, my official start date with the company is 4 months later than when I actually began working here.

My lab is still male dominated, but the culture is very supportive of women. I see lots of women in leadership positions who are greatly respected by everybody.

• Recent Bonus (USD)

give me full time job - I am currently a contractor

Sr Software Engineer

Most deparatments are very flexible. 3M Corporate has a flex policy to help people with their personal lives. I have rarely had to work overimte.

• Recent Bonus (USD)

Upper management does not less to the people doing the work or their direct managers. 3M Corporate doesn't allow the 3M HIS division to function autonomously.

superlady

N/A

• Recent Bonus (USD)

Great work environment but poor maternity leave and not enough women leaders.

Shortcake

This is a very supportive company.

• Recent Bonus (USD)

They really need to have a longer paid time off.

Business Manager

Marketing

We all read about challenges that women and minorities face in the workplace - all of these challenges are very much present at 3M. Based on informal benchmarking with contacts at other companies, 3M is perhaps even worse than average in this regard.

Madam Juniper

Senior IT manager

Information Technology

I have worked at 3M for 15 years and am very proud to be a 3Mer and have no plans of leaving the company. A flexible work arrangements policy was very recently updated to make it more formal and accessible to salaried employees. I have had support to work flexible hours and often remotely for many years, but that was not possible for many as it was left in the hands of one's manager. Now, it is encouraged for employees and managers to arrange flexibility per what the employee would like to do balanced with what is also in best interest of the department. I still see a large number of white men at the top of the company. Even though some women are making their way into the VP ranks, it is usually in an administrative/corporate function. There is a lot of improvement in equality left to do, but I do think the company is committed to this and will get there someday. The unpaid 12 weeks maternity leave is on top of the 6 paid, so 18 weeks total.

Lady JayR

I feel like I've been treated very fairly and have had a good support system. I've had 2 children and have not felt like either of my leaves negatively impacted my career. Overall it is a great company to work for, but like all companies the benefits or perks seem to be shrinking to make us just comparable to the other companies out there, though this impacts all employees. Upper management still seems to be predominately male, though at my job grade I don't have a lot of interaction with them.

Women Review 3M for Culture, Pay and Gender Equality | Fairygodboss

Free, anonymous reviews of 3M by female employees, including pay, hours, maternity leave, flextime, and company culture

stars, based on 13 reviews Company Website WomanInAMansWorld ShowMeTheEquality 123456 anon1606 superlady Shortcake Madam Juniper Lady JayR