• Top rated company 2016
  • Top rated company 2017
3.4

Lady Lucky

There are many women in higher executive roles. In 7 years I have never witnessed women being held back. The maternity leave isnt great but not many US employers are as the US lacks in general with maternity leave and vacation time - other countries are much more generous BUT they probably pay a lot more in taxes too! Working from home is the biggest plus and MANY roles are working from home so the opportunity is much greater as well no matter where you live!

Lady Knine

Business Development Manager

Analytics

The best thing about this company is the ability to work from home if that interests you. IBM provides the flexibility to go run an errand and make up the time later. That said, working at home results in most people I know working more hours than 40/week.

Lady 22apple

Information Developer

Men and women are treated equally, although executive positions are mostly occupied by men (as is common in other companies as well). I know of 1 woman who was given a low performance rating after taking maternity leave. Work-life balance is good, but it really depends on your manager. I don't have much confidence in the leadership at IBM and I don't think IBM values their employees. For that reason, I don't recommend IBM to other women.

Lady fly

Consultant

Global Business Services

I've worked here for 4 years and started directly out of college. The onboarding class was an equal split of men and women, but as I was deployed on projects, the dominant demographics became clear. There were women right out of college, a few single and very driven middle aged women, and a handful of high ranking partners closer to retirement; the majority of the workforce was comprised of men. Without the unlikely event that a remote or local opportunity arises, employees are faced with the decision to continue traveling and sacrifice family life or leave the company. So, women: This essentially means no children while consulting - while this is generally understood, there could be a better effort to allow employees (not just women) an opportunity to work closer to home at different times in their life. The current structure says 'You're a billable role', not 'You're a valued employee, let us work together'.

Maybe. Great career starter, not long term place

symone0209 Girl

Procurement Buyer

ISC

I've worked here for more than 2 years and there are a lot of women working here, but predominantly in support roles. Actually it would take quite long for one to see the big picture because each employee has limited work scope. Generally I believe male and female employees are treated fairly. It is a good company for females who may want to pay more attention to their families because home-office is allowed.

Maybe. Depends on the team you are in. If you support an external client, it would be hard to expect work-life balance.

Lady DarlaBean

Very little work / life balance - you are expected to work long hours and put your job before all else to stay employed.

Maybe. depends on the business unit and job

Senior Business Analyst

GBS

I was laid-off when my daughter was 18 months old. When I returned to work after maternity leave, I was diagnosed with Post partum depression and anxiety. I received zero support from the company - all that matter was my utilization numbers.

Project Manager

Incentives and Commissions

I've worked here for 30 years. In my career there have been plenty of women in very powerful positions.

Lady lovetohike

NA Learning Deployment Manager

HR

I've been with IBM for 14 years and have had a pretty good experience, for the most part. I do feel women and men are treated equal; however, because of the role I was in there is a lot of travel required. This makes it difficult to have a family. The good thing, is that IBM is so big and there are other opportunities available with less travel, you just have to be proactive about finding those opportunities. Most of the women I work with, either have no children or their children are older, you don't see a lot of women with young children in my area. I think the travel makes it too difficult.

For consultants and higher levels, travel is expected. I, being an Executive Assistant, works well because I am a virtual admin. I work from home and can support Executives all over NA.

Maybe. I would recommend IBM to Consultants or Management level I would not recommend to any Admin Assist because they are not hiring