Practice Leader

Strategy & Business Development

Fairly aplolitical culture, performance led, gender agnostic... IBM has a strong history of performance meritocracy

• Work-Life Friendly Attributes:

great respect, good flexible time, you are awarded with promotions and recognition if you work hard

• Work-Life Friendly Attributes:

IBM has a culture of flexibility and history of leading the market in benefits for women - ie express milk delivery.

• Work-Life Friendly Attributes:

You are evaluated and progressed based on the merits of your contributions, not the # of hours you spend in the office or seniority or whether or not you take advantage of flexible programs.

• Work-Life Friendly Attributes:

Working at IBM is likely better than smaller companies, but it is harder to be recognized for larger achievements..

Flexibility is mainly for managers... and others that do no fill those roles have to follow "do as I say, not as I do" mentality.

Policy had changed over the 3 years span I took maternity leave. This is example from my last leave, but has changed again (for family benefit) since.

• Work-Life Friendly Attributes:

Maybe. It would depend on the role. If it were sales, I would recommend since sales numbers are based on what you can do. I might not recommend if it were a more technical role, dominated by men.

Advisory Software Engineer

Research & Development

They are supportive of worklife balance and the maternity/paternity leave has increased to about 4 months in the US. but the HR policy websites and directions are very unclear. Like they don't want you to take it. You also tend to get held back from promotions once you have kids depending on your manager even if you working twice as hard as others.

it can be flexible but it depends on what department you work for. you can go out in the middle of the day for dr appt etc but have to work late to work with other country timezones on your team. that eats into family time.

They have increased the amount of paid maternity leave twice since i've been with this company. both while I was actually out. so they let me use it anytime within the next year. going on unpaid leave was a nightmare. very bad process, you have to get billed for your insurance benefits and it's not clear.

Business Operations Manager

Operations

IBM is a wonderful company if you can find the right role. Growth areas such as data analytics, cognitive computing, cloud, etc are hot items, and will receive good support within the company. People at IBM are very supportive and there are numerous resource groups within the company to help you find your way

I have been VERY fortunate to have a completely flexible schedule, working from home and adjusting my hours as needed to address family needs. This, of course, depends on your job role, your management team, and your track record - but the potential is definitely here for work/life integration and support for family needs.

Data Management Consultant

Operations

My experience here has been that everyone (individual contributors, at least) is underpaid and medical benefits are not good. They did recently extend maternity leave to 12 weeks I believe, but it's still not great. My department has been great with flexibility but it's at manager's discretion so it really depends on whether you luck out in that regard. In addition, we were told there would be sexual harassment training coming last fall, but none has yet. I personally know of people who've dealt with this, and it seemed like HR treated the victims as the perpetrators. The lack of training therefore seems like a huge problem.

Although we have flexibility, there is a huge concern from management about our timecards and how much time we bill to clients versus general work time. This makes it difficult to get involved with any internal groups (women's groups, etc.) that aren't directly related to a client. So they may support flexibility in some ways but they definitely hinder it in other ways.

I took leave shortly before the leave was extended. I took the full 8 weeks offered at the time, and I took 2 more weeks as short term disability due to post-partum complications.

• Work-Life Friendly Attributes:

Compensation is low across the board and benefits are not great. I would need both of those things improved for me to want to stay long term.

Recruiting/Human Resources Manager

Human Resources

IBM is a great place to work, with lots of focus on diversity and work-life balance, career opportunities and growth.

• Work-Life Friendly Attributes:

I have all women leaders, all the way up to our CEO.

I think my particular department thinks flexibility needs to be fair across the board and doesn't take into consideration the employee necessarily. Someone with more tenure and demonstrates a high level of performance should be allowed more flexibility with work from home than those who have not been in the company long and have not "proven" themselves.

My org was acquired by IBM.