Principal Engineer

Grow your network

Product Development Engineer

Factory

Every day is not the most important day - Intel just wants you to think that. You can bust your tail off everyday, but the male managers in the factory will disqualify you for promotions and raises because you have 2 babies. It's not worth the stress...just go your job as best as you can and go home and enjoy life at the end of the day. Find other women in similar situations and bond with them, form alliances and encourage each other. Don't stay in the same job for more than 3 years!!!!

Systems Analyst

IT

I've worked at Intel for 18 years. The company has decent pay and benefits which initially were rarely matched by other companies. Nowadays it's just one more high-tech company which is in the process of redefining. My experience has been good as the company supported me balance work/life while raising my daughter. However, I have had a horrible experience advancing my career. Intel is 110% a boys club and as many other women I have had and continue to 1) prove it again 2) struggle with the tight rope of being perceived too feminine or masculine 3) put on a shelve during my daughter's tender years and 4) struggled with other women who perceive there is only room for a few ow us and side with the boys to get ahead. I believe Intel is trying to change, but just enough to show better figures on diversity. Unfortunately, I have no faith on the boys ever treating women as equal.

Maybe. It has great benefits for new moms, but you will swim upstream forever if you want to get promoted. It's 110% a boy's club

It wouldn't make me feel any different if I was a man.

Create strong networks, especially with senior management. Find strong mentors, both male and female to help pull you up when you need an advocate. Take your vacations and down time - Intel can suck the life out of you if you allow it! It's a job, not your life! Enjoy the ride, the technology impact on the world and the people you share your day with!

Maybe. Need more women to change the disparity

Hardware Sales

National security group

n/a

Business Analyst

Human Resources

A good company to work for with great benefits and pay. The expectation to continually outperform yourself and your teammates is exhausting at times.

Process Engineer

N/A

Highly competitive

It's a big company, experiences depend upon the department. For the first years I arrived I was very impressed: first employer I didn't feel I had to prove myself in every meeting, people just assumed I could do my job. That said, its very competitive with a constant conversational challenge of 'what do you know?' so you must be able to assert your knowledge comfortably as part of the flow of conversation. Many execs and mid-managers belong to conservative religions where 'a good woman' stays at home and has kids. How can they not carry that belief to work? I was warned of this by a female boss -- her answer was dress conservatively, be careful about my language and humor. The female president had no women of significant authority on her staff before being promoted to her current position and there aren't many women who actively promote other women yet. I've heard female managers complain there are few qualified women to hire for technical positions -- isn't it women generally don't communicate with the sometimes bombastic confidence of men, especially in interviews? I'm still with the company for many reasons. The company will let you grow in almost any direction it can provide. There are few worries about being boxed in here. I've received a lot of career-development support when I've made specific requests. The work itself is fantastic -- never a dull moment and always something interesting to work on. Peers in general (again, depending upon the department) are talented and team-oriented, want to get good work done they're proud of. With the new CEO there have been a rush of promotions, including more female VPs.