Lady Knowitall

Part Time Management

Operations

I have been with this company 18 years, 17 as a partime sup. It was a good company until it went public. Now it's a joke. As far as who gets promoted it's sometimes who you know sometimes who you are demographically. I have been pursuing a promotion for the last 4 years. Because I know so much they are deliberately using me for a multitude of things rather than developing me for the job is was told I would get. They have no conscience about it either. It has been brought to their attention repeatedly. They do not take responsibility for their own unmet commitments. I'm disappointed to say the least. It's no longer a company that values their employees.

Maybe. Not to either group

I've been with the company for 7 years. I work on the inside directly handling packages. The company provides great benefits. It's very hand work and can be stressful at times.

Lady Montague

Supervisor

I have been with UPS for almost 10 years in non-operations positions (read: I don't handle freight/packages and am not union). While I am happy to have a steady job, this is still very much a male-dominated company and I don't see them doing much to change. No paid maternity leave (except for disability insurance) and there aren't a lot of opportunities for work from home options or flexible work schedules (even if you have a laptop, you're still expects to put in your eight hours at the office - the laptop is so you can work in the evenings or weekends). In addition, you have a forced one-hour lunch, so you are looking at a nine-hour day minimum. It varies from group to group, but management employees are expected to go "above and beyond" and work early and/or late, plus take work home. This all adds up to making it very difficult to obtain any semblance of work-life balance (a term they throw around quite a bit, but never seem to actually do much about). As far as treatment of women, it's still clear this is very much a boy's club. It's much harder for women to get promoted and those that do are usually single and/or childless because they aren't being "punished" for trying to have a family. I had my first child earlier this year and while my management was supportive, I can already tell that my leaving right at 5 p.m. (Instead of staying to 5:30 like a "good" employee) is being noticed and I probably won't go much higher, but that's a sacrifice I am willing to make. A lot of people within UPS would like to see things change and eventually they may as the "old guard" starts to retire, but it definitely won't be for another few years at least. I am fortunate that I am one of the employees who is still eligible for a pension from UPS (newer employees aren't) - otherwise I would have left a long time ago.

Maybe. Good starter job, not great for women who have/want a family

Lady Violette1

In my time at working here, I have listened to numerous speeches on the embracing culture of UPS. How they promote from within and want a more diverse employee base. The reality is much more different. The higher level management has very few women, and most people who are promoted to the higher level are male. They do not really invest time or money in training in skills that would allow the entry level woman or male get to that next level, the IS department would rather hire outside the pool leaving entry level women at the bottom. Most women I have seen are pretty much promoted to business analyst nothing technical. They do have women's BGR groups, but I don't know if they actually have any mentoring or real help for women to get anywhere. Mid level women seem to stay there, some have been in the same position for over 10 years. there is no real way to learn new skills, only middle management is offered that, so honestly I would have to say its a good entry level position to try to get some experience, then move on to a company that wants people who want to learn and grow, UPS likes to keep things the way they have always done it.

Maybe. As an entry level position for a new graduate its a good start

Be goal oriented and strong minded, physically prepared and be sure to stretch as apart of a daily routine.

Lady Ladyupser

Take as much maternity leave as is allowed. I came back early after my first child, and no one appreciated it... It was undue pressure I put on myself. Also, pay raise was pro-rated after my second child/maternity leave. And people wonder why women's salaries fall behind men's? Disappointing for a company that tries to promote women's leadership. Put your $ where your mouth is, UPS! Work is very stressful, long hours, high expectations. Difficult to maintain a proper work-life balance.

Maybe. High level of stress

Lady Dusty

I've been here almost a decade. I would have told myself to get the experience and take it somewhere else where they treat you like a human and not a robot. Long ridiculous hours coupled with impossible expectations and a shrinking staff. The stress here is through the roof and is apparent on each person. The major topic of conversation when meeting with colleagues from different departments is the stress.

Lady 2hot46

Preload

Lagistics

Stay strong Don't let them break you or think you are any less than them Document everything ie; hours worked, time off, requests, S.W.I.M. fed back, D.O.K dimarets, injuries or physical health ailments occurred during employment

Madam sylvanquill

This company is not the one I joined nearly thirty years ago. Once they went public service and safety were brushed aside for stock performance. If not for the union, myself and many others would have been terminated years ago. As a newly handicapped worker, I have found ups less than accommodating for my needs. Once I was proud to be a part of a team, now I discourage potential employees. The only consolation is that lower management is mistreated even more than the hourly employees. Anyone who works for ups in a state that does not require you to join the teamsters, I encourage you to become a member....

Lady superstarr76

Supervisor

Operations

Relax and learn as much as possible.