"love it! really great experience nothing bad to say at all! "
One thing 3M can improve?
"Not much; it's a great place to work"
Manager, Administrative
Would you recommend 3M to other women?
"Working at 3M is ok. I feel they do the minimum for women that the market and competitors expect. I don't feel they try to be cutting edge in regards to accommodating women. "
One thing 3M can improve?
"Improve work-life balance and policies (e.g. flex-time, limit face time)"
Would you recommend 3M to other women?
"It depends...which group, your manager, what is important to you, etc."
Would you recommend 3M to other women?
"Overall, it is a good company with great benefits and lots of opportunities for interesting assignments. They company is trying to develop women but not at an individual level. They tend to be more like coffee hours and less around real development. Some of the actions are tone deaf such as offering golf lessons to women so they can participate in golf outings with the men. How about talking to the men about not having golf outings and how it isn't inclusive? There has been an increase in women at director levels and above but the deck is still stacked toward younger white men. They will say the % has improved and I think it has but it is still overwhelming to see the lack of gender diversity. The women that are promoted are more token examples it seems. They rotate them around but infrequently does a new woman enter the ranks and they tend to be in staff roles. It is still 10:1 men:women. If a woman is fine topping out at mid management and having a long career there, they will do well and have a good work/life balance. "
One thing 3M can improve?
"3M has put in place a flexibility program but it is still unclear and not managed uniformly. There is still an unspoken requirement to be physically present regardless of effectiveness. "
Would you recommend 3M to other women?
"3M is a good company for employees and women in the entry level to mid-management range. If a woman aspires to reach higher than mid-management they should know the opportunities will be very limited if not impossible. "
"There is a lot of opportunity at 3M and lots of good people. Unfortunately as I have advanced in my career I have increasingly been concerned with the quality of leadership - so much so it has forced me to really re-think my career aspirations and realize why women leave the workforce. Stay here and work with a bunch of assholes or take a less stressful job that allows for time with my kids? "
One thing 3M can improve?
"Take action when there is a pattern of discrimination."
, Marketing
"Level of flexibility depends who you work for - some are ok with flex schedules, others want you available 24x7 and expect you to work on vacation."
"Recently improved this to 12 weeks - long over due - but glad they finally made the change. It took so long because they were concerned if existing employees would be upset - this is telling of the culture.....slow to change, not progressive."
Would you recommend 3M to other women?
"Yes - if you either do not aspire to be a Director or VP, or if you do aspire to those roles are not deterred by covert sexism or a well established boys club."
"3m is what you make it. The culture rewards people who carve their own path, so don't expect anyone else to manage your career for you. As a full-time working mother, I think their maternity leave policies (6 weeks, nothing official for dads) are far below average. Flex time is also not standard policy, and must be negotiated individually with your manager (and is often not approved). Most executives are male with stay at home wives, and just don't get the realities of two working parents. For a company that insists on hiring only those with Master's degrees and PhD's in many disciplines (meaning older recruits in prime child bearing years), their policies toward families are woefully antiquated. "
One thing 3M can improve?
"Improve work-life balance and policies (e.g. flex-time, limit face time)"
Marketing Manager, Marketing
"No paternity leave here. When you go on unpaid maternity leave, you do not accrue for years of service. So after two kids, my official start date with the company is 4 months later than when I actually began working here."
Would you recommend 3M to other women?
"My lab is still male dominated, but the culture is very supportive of women. I see lots of women in leadership positions who are greatly respected by everybody."
One thing 3M can improve?
"give me full time job - I am currently a contractor"
Would you recommend 3M to other women?
"Most deparatments are very flexible. 3M Corporate has a flex policy to help people with their personal lives. I have rarely had to work overimte."
One thing 3M can improve?
"Upper management does not less to the people doing the work or their direct managers. 3M Corporate doesn't allow the 3M HIS division to function autonomously. "
Sr Software Engineer,
"N/A"
One thing 3M can improve?
"Improve my benefits (e.g. medical, maternity)"
Would you recommend 3M to other women?
"Great work environment but poor maternity leave and not enough women leaders."
"This is a very supportive company. "
One thing 3M can improve?
"Not much; it's a great place to work"
""
One thing 3M can improve?
"Improve my benefits (e.g. medical, maternity)"
"They really need to have a longer paid time off."
Would you recommend 3M to other women?
"We all read about challenges that women and minorities face in the workplace - all of these challenges are very much present at 3M. Based on informal benchmarking with contacts at other companies, 3M is perhaps even worse than average in this regard."
Business Manager, Marketing
Would you recommend 3M to other women?
"I have worked at 3M for 15 years and am very proud to be a 3Mer and have no plans of leaving the company. A flexible work arrangements policy was very recently updated to make it more formal and accessible to salaried employees. I have had support to work flexible hours and often remotely for many years, but that was not possible for many as it was left in the hands of one's manager. Now, it is encouraged for employees and managers to arrange flexibility per what the employee would like to do balanced with what is also in best interest of the department. I still see a large number of white men at the top of the company. Even though some women are making their way into the VP ranks, it is usually in an administrative/corporate function. There is a lot of improvement in equality left to do, but I do think the company is committed to this and will get there someday. The unpaid 12 weeks maternity leave is on top of the 6 paid, so 18 weeks total."
Senior IT Manager, Information Technology
Would you recommend 3M to other women?
"I feel like I've been treated very fairly and have had a good support system. I've had 2 children and have not felt like either of my leaves negatively impacted my career. Overall it is a great company to work for, but like all companies the benefits or perks seem to be shrinking to make us just comparable to the other companies out there, though this impacts all employees. Upper management still seems to be predominately male, though at my job grade I don't have a lot of interaction with them."
Would you recommend 3M to other women?
"I've worked at 3M for 20 years now and have always felt like I have been treated fairly. My performance has been measured by my results and my promotions and pay are reflective of my leadership capability and the results I deliver. 3M publishes pay scales by job grades which helps to ensure equality in pay. I feel that my job grade is reflective of the scope and complexity of my position and my salary level is very competitive with the external market. I know this because I regularly interview external candidates and have gained knowledge of salary ranges outside of 3M through this process. 3M does have several programs aimed at supporting the development of female leaders at both management and executive levels and in general I feel that 3M has a nice balance of male and female leaders in our organization. As 3M has started to globalize it's workforce, I've found achieving work/life balance to be quite challenging. But the flexible work policies make it doable."
Would you recommend 3M to other women?
"Working in a global company can make work/life balance difficult at times"
"Varies greatly by department and location"
Would you recommend 3M to other women?
"if they have family commitments, no"
"Doctor took me off work because of preterm labor and they denied my short term disability they also wouldn't provide the help I requested wile I was pregnant"
Machine operator, N/A