#6
3.7

You can not have a family and work here.

Madam Mamabear

Women and men are treated equally- but it's tough for everyone. Expectations are often unrealistic and there is very little work-life balance

Maybe. It totally depends on your network and Partner support

Lady Moving on Up

Senior Manager

I've worked here for a year and found it to be the most flexible, empowering workplace I've ever encountered in the last 15 years. While there seem to be some pay inequities across the firm, there are many perks - especially for women who are interested in flexibility (kids) - that make up for some of the more negative aspects of the firm. That said, an important caveat is that I am not a client-facing consultant; the internal roles at Deloitte may not be as lucrative, but they are far more flexible (and the pay ain't terrible!)

Lady cm21

Business Analyst

I've been with Deloitte for 1.5 years. At the lower levels, women and men seem equal but the higher you climb, the fewer women there are. Although the company preaches diversity and supporting women, the reality is that women have to find other female supporters and the upper echelons are full of white males. As a woman of color, I find it especially hard to network which, given the politics of a consulting firm, hurts my advancement in the firm despite high performance. Maternity (and paternity) leave is pretty generous and I know plenty of women who take it but leave taken is still counted toward utilization so taking maternity leave significantly impacts your year-end performance rating when you return. The firm is also very flexible with arranging local projects to limit travel for individuals with that need. Overall, I would say Deloitte is a great place to work for young singles and women with school-age children.

Maybe. Depends what life stage you are in--Deloitte has good maternity leave policies but the way the system is set up, you are still at a disadvantage for taking it.

Lady ConsultantFedGov

Consultant

Federal

Highly competitive industry and workplace, with an "up or out" construct. Competitive culture outweighed the benefits in the end, though I loved the training, we had great clients, and so many of the people were amazing.

Lady Deloitte

Audit

I have been here for 11 years and have found a good balance between work and family. I also have a lot of flexibility. However, the sacrifice has been my upward mobility because in order to get that flexibility I have had to say no to projects. If you are a woman starting a family, it is hard to advance unless you are willing to sacrifice time with your family. Ultimately, you can choose the firm over family and continue to advance.

Lady Ambitious

Assistant Manager

Audit

I have worked here for 3 years and as I have become more senior I have experienced negative comments regarding my gender from my superiors and they appear to be hiring fewer and fewer females

Consulting

Your experience at Deloitte is highly dependent on the partner / director you work for. While my team is generally supportive of women, almost everyone who has kids has a spouse (usually a wife) with a very flexible career. People make comments like "You can't work in this industry if you have a family" and it's disheartening to women who love their job but also want to have children eventually. Other downsides include an unpredictable schedule. Deloitte also technically has great benefits, including generous maternity leave, but it's often difficult to manage the day-to-day. In my office, leadership is very middle-aged male.

Maybe. Very dependent on the partner / director you work for

Madam techie

Tax Technology

IT

I worked there 11 1/2 years. Management is male dominated and not diverse in the shared services side. I did love working there but ended with a boss who did not like women. He showed favoritism and he is still there.

Lady Do What Makes You Strong

Senior Manager

Read about the Women's Initiative started as early as 1993. Various industries look closely at the model that Deloitte created here. Women are the architects of their own career here and have equal opportunity to develop, lead and thrive.

Maybe. Very deliberate effort to develop women as leaders based on their individual strengths. The historic seminal Women's Initiative started in 1993 is alive and well and still tackling all the various (especially those conditions outside of Deloitte) that pose barriers to women staying and rising to high levels of leadership within the company.