"I love the ability to shape my role and and the freedom I have to work super flexible hours. I don't know if this is a gender thing, but I can't stand the extensive bureaucracy and structure around growth and compensation-- you can only be promoted and receive pay increases at set increments, even if you're a rock star performer."
Would you recommend Google to other women?
"The best thing you can bring to working here is an aggressive confidence in your training and your abilities. Iron-clad self-esteem and a strong sense of "your input is not necessary to my life" also work well. Then you must cloak all of this in a stunning amount of kum-bay-ya deference and equivocal language. You will still be hammer for being too aggressive and not a team player but perhaps it won't matter to you so much if you know all of this ahead of time. Men will talk over you in meetings and when you call them on it, you get spoken to about your attitude. Even better--you will be listened to in silence and then ignored. This is not all men at the G--it is all of the men over 35--which is all of upper management. The younger the man, the more willing they are to work well with others. PS--you will never be promoted here."
Would you recommend Google to other women?
"There are worse places than this to work."
"Lorem Ipsum."
Program Manager, Google Play
Would you recommend Google to other women?
"There is a lot of talk about being supportive of flexible working arrangements, however this is heavily dependent on your manager. Some managers are incredibly supportive and others are not at all. Ironically, the female-heavy departments like recruiting are not as supportive as you would expect, so be sure to interview with eyes wide open."
Recruiter, People Operations
Would you recommend Google to other women?
"It is a great place to work before kids, but after it becomes much more difficult to meet expectations while balancing a family. This is true for any job, but Google has very high expectations for performance, so it becomes competitive and hard to set boundaries."
"I have worked at Google for four years. I believe that it is an environment where women are fairly treated and listened to, but the only real female leadership and middle management is in sales and operations. It's rare to find women (much less, minorities) in leadership in eng, especially at the mid-level. This creates an unspoken tech-bro culture that can be pretty exhausting to navigate. It's not impossible, but it takes an effort that I would rather put into getting shit done."
Program Manager, Developer Relations
Would you recommend Google to other women?
"There are things that could be better but I've heard that other places are worse, so on a balance...yes."
"It seems very hard to progress up the career ladder once you have a family. I have felt like I am the victim of biases from both men and women (but mostly women) in my time here."
People Development Specialist, People Operations
Would you recommend Google to other women?
"Things are probably better here than at some other places but still not great"