"I worked at Google for eight and a half years. I will say that I had the good fortune to be on a marketing team that was 95% women, and prior to that I was in HR, which was also majority women. I think that within those teams, I found the respect and fair treatment that I wanted. However, I will say that I think there are certain parts of the company that women and people of color are pushed towards (ie, the non-technical side of the house) and that definitely has an effect on my experience. I do think that sometimes it can be hard to be young and female at Google, especially on more male dominated teams with older men. You have to shout really loud and be extremely aggressive to gain respect for your opinions."
N/A, Marketing
Would you recommend Google to other women?
"It's a lovely place to work, as long as you don't rock the boat. Except climbing the career ladder to be constant fight to prove your competency. Ideally, find and stick with a good manager, who will know you and give you opportunities to develop. Changing manager will set you back on average 6 months, in my experience. The majority of women have issues with their careers after maternity leave, unless they are still in a basic individual contributor role."
Software Engineer, Tech
Would you recommend Google to other women?
"As long as they are ready to move after having children, and stick with one good manager"
"I'm worked here for 5 years in a software engineering role. I've been on several teams, and there has never been another technical woman on my team. I have often been asked if I am the PM or UX designer. In terms of career advancement, it seems that more aggressive personalities (more often male) tend to end up in leadership roles, which I find frustrating. The upside is still pretty good (compensation and perks are outstanding), but despite that, I feel like I constantly need to prove myself when working with new people, and it is difficult to see male colleagues (no more qualified than myself) move into leadership positions ahead of me."
Would you recommend Google to other women?
"It has a lot of advantages, but also problems"
"It's a great place to work."
ABP, N/A
Would you recommend Google to other women?
"I've had great opportunities at Google. And the company is doing a lot to address issues like unconscious bias. At the same time, when I found out I was paid significantly less than a male peer with less experience, my [female] VP's response was - "some people negotiate better than others." and a senior male exec recently "asked" me about my dedication post kids, mentioning his wife stopped working after having the same number of kids i do."
N/A, Marketing
Would you recommend Google to other women?
"I love the ability to shape my role and and the freedom I have to work super flexible hours. I don't know if this is a gender thing, but I can't stand the extensive bureaucracy and structure around growth and compensation-- you can only be promoted and receive pay increases at set increments, even if you're a rock star performer."