It's ok. Kinda meh.

Madam Jwo

VP of Marketing

I've worked here for over 5 years. Great maternity benefits. Most of the leadership is still men, but they are working on bringing in more senior women leaders.

Lady design chameleon

Your experience varies heavily based on what role and team you are on. Find a good manager, an interesting project, and go meet the other ladies on the team.

• Recent Bonus (USD)

Depends on what team you land on. Like any large company, there are pockets of good and pockets of bad. Find a good manager, interesting project, and talk to the women on the team.

Madam Morae

Marketing

I worked at Google for eight and a half years. I will say that I had the good fortune to be on a marketing team that was 95% women, and prior to that I was in HR, which was also majority women. I think that within those teams, I found the respect and fair treatment that I wanted. However, I will say that I think there are certain parts of the company that women and people of color are pushed towards (ie, the non-technical side of the house) and that definitely has an effect on my experience. I do think that sometimes it can be hard to be young and female at Google, especially on more male dominated teams with older men. You have to shout really loud and be extremely aggressive to gain respect for your opinions.

Lady Ready

Software Engineer

Tech

It's a lovely place to work, as long as you don't rock the boat. Except climbing the career ladder to be constant fight to prove your competency. Ideally, find and stick with a good manager, who will know you and give you opportunities to develop. Changing manager will set you back on average 6 months, in my experience. The majority of women have issues with their careers after maternity leave, unless they are still in a basic individual contributor role.

• Recent Bonus (USD)

As long as they are ready to move after having children, and stick with one good manager

Lady sf_female_engineer

I'm worked here for 5 years in a software engineering role. I've been on several teams, and there has never been another technical woman on my team. I have often been asked if I am the PM or UX designer. In terms of career advancement, it seems that more aggressive personalities (more often male) tend to end up in leadership roles, which I find frustrating. The upside is still pretty good (compensation and perks are outstanding), but despite that, I feel like I constantly need to prove myself when working with new people, and it is difficult to see male colleagues (no more qualified than myself) move into leadership positions ahead of me.

• Recent Bonus (USD)

It has a lot of advantages, but also problems

Lady curious1

ABP

It's a great place to work.

Madam Malofa

Marketing

I've had great opportunities at Google. And the company is doing a lot to address issues like unconscious bias. At the same time, when I found out I was paid significantly less than a male peer with less experience, my [female] VP's response was - "some people negotiate better than others." and a senior male exec recently "asked" me about my dedication post kids, mentioning his wife stopped working after having the same number of kids i do.

Lady goldielocks

I love the ability to shape my role and and the freedom I have to work super flexible hours. I don't know if this is a gender thing, but I can't stand the extensive bureaucracy and structure around growth and compensation-- you can only be promoted and receive pay increases at set increments, even if you're a rock star performer.

Madam Experience

The best thing you can bring to working here is an aggressive confidence in your training and your abilities. Iron-clad self-esteem and a strong sense of "your input is not necessary to my life" also work well. Then you must cloak all of this in a stunning amount of kum-bay-ya deference and equivocal language. You will still be hammer for being too aggressive and not a team player but perhaps it won't matter to you so much if you know all of this ahead of time. Men will talk over you in meetings and when you call them on it, you get spoken to about your attitude. Even better--you will be listened to in silence and then ignored. This is not all men at the G--it is all of the men over 35--which is all of upper management. The younger the man, the more willing they are to work well with others. PS--you will never be promoted here.

• Recent Bonus (USD)

There are worse places than this to work.

Women Review Google for Culture, Pay and Gender Equality | Fairygodboss

Free, anonymous reviews of Google by female employees, including pay, hours, maternity leave, flextime, and company culture

stars, based on 103 reviews Company Website Madam Jwo Lady design chameleon Madam Morae Lady Ready Lady sf_female_engineer Lady curious1 Madam Malofa Lady goldielocks Madam Experience