#14
3.8

Madam Morae

Marketing

I worked at Google for eight and a half years. I will say that I had the good fortune to be on a marketing team that was 95% women, and prior to that I was in HR, which was also majority women. I think that within those teams, I found the respect and fair treatment that I wanted. However, I will say that I think there are certain parts of the company that women and people of color are pushed towards (ie, the non-technical side of the house) and that definitely has an effect on my experience. I do think that sometimes it can be hard to be young and female at Google, especially on more male dominated teams with older men. You have to shout really loud and be extremely aggressive to gain respect for your opinions.

Lady Ready

Software Engineer

Tech

It's a lovely place to work, as long as you don't rock the boat. Except climbing the career ladder to be constant fight to prove your competency. Ideally, find and stick with a good manager, who will know you and give you opportunities to develop. Changing manager will set you back on average 6 months, in my experience. The majority of women have issues with their careers after maternity leave, unless they are still in a basic individual contributor role.

Maybe. As long as they are ready to move after having children, and stick with one good manager

Lady sf_female_engineer

I'm worked here for 5 years in a software engineering role. I've been on several teams, and there has never been another technical woman on my team. I have often been asked if I am the PM or UX designer. In terms of career advancement, it seems that more aggressive personalities (more often male) tend to end up in leadership roles, which I find frustrating. The upside is still pretty good (compensation and perks are outstanding), but despite that, I feel like I constantly need to prove myself when working with new people, and it is difficult to see male colleagues (no more qualified than myself) move into leadership positions ahead of me.

Maybe. It has a lot of advantages, but also problems

Lady curious1

ABP

It's a great place to work.

Madam Malofa

Marketing

I've had great opportunities at Google. And the company is doing a lot to address issues like unconscious bias. At the same time, when I found out I was paid significantly less than a male peer with less experience, my [female] VP's response was - "some people negotiate better than others." and a senior male exec recently "asked" me about my dedication post kids, mentioning his wife stopped working after having the same number of kids i do.

Lady goldielocks

I love the ability to shape my role and and the freedom I have to work super flexible hours. I don't know if this is a gender thing, but I can't stand the extensive bureaucracy and structure around growth and compensation-- you can only be promoted and receive pay increases at set increments, even if you're a rock star performer.

Madam Experience

The best thing you can bring to working here is an aggressive confidence in your training and your abilities. Iron-clad self-esteem and a strong sense of "your input is not necessary to my life" also work well. Then you must cloak all of this in a stunning amount of kum-bay-ya deference and equivocal language. You will still be hammer for being too aggressive and not a team player but perhaps it won't matter to you so much if you know all of this ahead of time. Men will talk over you in meetings and when you call them on it, you get spoken to about your attitude. Even better--you will be listened to in silence and then ignored. This is not all men at the G--it is all of the men over 35--which is all of upper management. The younger the man, the more willing they are to work well with others. PS--you will never be promoted here.

Maybe. There are worse places than this to work.

Lady fairyanna

Program Manager

Google Play

Lorem Ipsum.

Lady TrueToForm

Recruiter

People Operations

There is a lot of talk about being supportive of flexible working arrangements, however this is heavily dependent on your manager. Some managers are incredibly supportive and others are not at all. Ironically, the female-heavy departments like recruiting are not as supportive as you would expect, so be sure to interview with eyes wide open.

Maybe. It is a great place to work before kids, but after it becomes much more difficult to meet expectations while balancing a family. This is true for any job, but Google has very high expectations for performance, so it becomes competitive and hard to set boundaries.

Lady Riot

Program Manager

Developer Relations

I have worked at Google for four years. I believe that it is an environment where women are fairly treated and listened to, but the only real female leadership and middle management is in sales and operations. It's rare to find women (much less, minorities) in leadership in eng, especially at the mid-level. This creates an unspoken tech-bro culture that can be pretty exhausting to navigate. It's not impossible, but it takes an effort that I would rather put into getting shit done.

Maybe. There are things that could be better but I've heard that other places are worse, so on a balance...yes.