Penguin Random House

www.penguinrandomhouse.com
2.7

MsNYC62

Finance

This is a good company operating under very tight financial constraints. They offer good benefits and salaries for low to mid-level staff are on the lower end of the financial scale. Most depts offer an enjoyable work environment.

My answer relates to my unique experience. This is not the norm for the company.

HR needs to address a very problematic senior exec whose many personal issues cause her to create a fear-based environment and behave in an abusive manner. As a result of her lashing out, loyal and talented staff are losing their jobs. The exec has no integrity and spins tales that HR seems to believe. The exec is very insecure, paranoid, immature, and unprofessional and only due to the talented and loyal staff is the dept running smoothly. The closest senior exec, the deputy, is spending a great deal of time diffusing the numerous issues this female senior exec is creating. He's actually running the dept and should have been given the senior role to begin with. She is a horrible representation of the good company this is. I was unable to take lunch, unable to enjoy summer Fridays, unable to enjoy normal hours, unable to take advantage of great benefits, etc. This was a very unique bullying and abusive situation that I was dealing with. Having worked for the company years ago for terrific execs, I am well-versed in how things should operate.

yellowshoes

There are tons of women in the company (the men just rise up way faster!) so having a lot of women around is really great. Things like leaving to deal with a sick kid, taking personal days, etc are common and respected.

• Family Friendly Aspects?

Madam anon794

Assistant Director

Publicity

I've worked first at Penguin and now at PRH for close to 7 years. It's a relatively family-friendly company. They offer solid healthcare and leave benefits, and they were quick to recognize domestic partners as beneficiaries years before marriage equality. I think opportunities for advancement vary depending on the area of the business.