The Pew Charitable Trusts

www.pewtrusts.org/

tennislady1982

I work on a team that is mostly male but I have never felt discriminated against. Pay is a bit low compared to the private sector, but there is good work-life balance. Working from home is discouraged which could be problematic for parents.

• Family Friendly Aspects?

Pew has an exceptional emphasis on work-life balance with its core hours (you must be in the office between 10-4, but outside of that you can choose your hours, so between 10-6 or 8-4). However, they don't let almost anyone work from home. There are many women in high positions (the CEO is a woman), but the culture is sometimes uptight and stifling and bureaucracy slow. Maternity leave and paternity leave (many men take it) are good, and vacation time and sick leave are excellent.

• Family Friendly Aspects?

Lady ProjectManager

Manager

Government Performance

I have worked here for 2 years and there are a lot of women working here in very prominent roles. The CEO is a woman, several of the vice presidents are women and so on. Morale and flexibility vary wildly between teams. I happen to be on a very great (and family friendly) team. You will be surrounded by smart people doing smart work. It is hard to move up as the promotion process is arduous. However, everyone is aware of that and is very helpful if you decide that it's time to "move out to move up." My biggest gripe is that after having a very generous maternity and paternity leave policy (12 weeks for mothers and fathers), a little over 2 years ago it was reduced to 6/8 weeks short term disability leave for mothers and FMLA for fathers, with a total of 6 weeks paid leave for either gender.