Employee reviews at Verizon Communications

Verizon Communications

3.4

default img
Tell us more for better jobs, advice
and connections
your interests
Your feed isn’t personalized yet. Follow topics like career advice, lifestyle or health.
companies you follow
Get alerted when there are new employee reviews.
YOUR JOB ALERTS
Get notified when new jobs are posted.
"Keep your boundaries about what hours you will work. If you want get ahead schmooze a lot and speak up at meetings."
One thing Verizon Communications can improve?
"Improve work-life balance and policies (e.g. flex-time, limit face time)"
Member Technical Staff, IT
"Able to work from home when needed. Hours are crazy. 12 hour days are the norm. Depending on job your day may start at 5AM and go until 7"

Want to

"It is hard to network and move up in the company. Most times you are offered lateral positions."
Project Manager, Product

Want to

"This company is trying to be more female friendly, but it has not extended to the field sales offices entirely. (I cannot speak to the culture at HQ) Getting more women into their B2B sales teams is a challenge that they have not appropriately addressed. Also, the sales offices can be ripe with male chauvinism and little progress has been made to change that. While steps are being made through their women's ERGs, it remains a very male driven environment. If you are able to establish a good brand with leadership, then you will succeed and get promoted. If you do not fit into their narrow definition of a successful woman, then you will struggle to get promotions. Progress is being made but it sometimes falls short and hits the wrong tone. As a result, the culture remains an old-school and male dominated environment. "
Enterprise Sales, Sales
"If you are liked then you have a bit more flexibility. I've also seen single mothers discriminated against by male managers as the male managers have support systems and don't understand when the single mother is the only person who can go pick up her sick kid/ drop the kid off at school."
"Maybe"

Want to

"As with any company, there are pros and cons to working at this one. They offer a diverse portfolio of products and services, so you will always feel like you are learning as new technology emerges. Depending on the Manager, you may be able to negotiate a flexible schedule. Based on my observations, few women are hired into the business sales department and even less are promoted into leadership roles throughout the organization. "

Want to

"They are more flexible for the schedules of lower performers. I was always called in on off days so that they could meet sales quotas, especially when they were training someone new. Management only gets paid if the stores are selling."
"Other"
0 Weeks Paid | 5.5 Weeks Unpaid
"My 6 week mark would have landed on a Monday but they wanted me to hit quota so they could get paid and so they had me start the Friday prior."
"Maybe"

Want to

"This was an amazing place to build my career, develop a tough skin, receive best-in-class training, and have top notch benefits. I was challenged every day here and learned more than I could have thought possible. The medical benefits were unbelievable, along with 401k match at 6%, and so many policies to support changes in your life like FMLA, disability, parental leave, etc. As a perk you also got the latest and greatest technology often. The mantra is, "Our best was good for today, tomorrow we will do better" and every day you are challenged to do more, achieve more, outperform your best. But from a job standpoint, in sales and sales leadership, it was an old, Caucasian boys club. I had to fight 3x as hard to receive the same promotion as a less qualified man who was often "one of the boys" of the hiring manager. I didn't give up, and eventually got promoted as a young woman in leadership and continued to fight my way up the ladder. It came with a barrage of harassment and innuendos about how I got there - from both men and women, people trying to intimidate me out of positions, while I was getting paid less and having to be twice as good as my male counterparts to receive the respect I had earned. Diversity was not important, and often I was the only female sales professional on my team or female leader in my management group, and also one of the only people under 30 or even under 40. The culture was like a locker room at times with the way women were discussed in the office and the chest thumping macho attitude. I often stood up against the chauvinistic culture, so people stopped saying inappropriate things if I was in earshot, but would continue conversations without me. Some women didn't have the courage to speak up, and they allowed it to happen around them and suffer in silence. During my time here, I became incredibly tough, resilient, and still produced top numbers all along the way and won awards. I personally survived and thrived and now feel like I can do anything professionally I put my mind to because nothing will be as difficult as the environment I came from. However, I watched so many talented women fail and suffer here, and become discouraged and give up. For that reason, it takes a very tough type of women to make it at Verizon, and if you are up for the challenge, that's great, and if you can make it there, you can honestly make it anywhere. But there are a lot of companies out there that will make your employee experience in sales or as a high level leader positive, supportive and inclusive, rather than grueling, attacking and disheartening."
One thing Verizon Communications can improve?
"Best roles for flexibility are remote sales positions, especially at high levels, in which you can work from home or on the road. Everything else is very militant - it is often said by managers, "If you are not at your desk, you are not working." You are expected to report to an office for most job functions every day, and it is frowned upon to come in late, leave early, work flexible hours, or take a longer than expected lunch break. That is a pretty archaic thinking for a company that sells technology and the idea that the modern worker is mobile and they should use Verizon's products to be that. "